584,849 active members*
3,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Finally Chose a 4X8 Router

I've been on the fence the last several months on what CNC to buy. I searched used, looked at Camaster, Shop Sabre, Importers of Chinese machines and ebay. The more that I read about horror stories of importing machines from China the less I wanted to go through the hassle. Camaster and Shop Sabre were just out of my budget and the imported machines being rebranded and sold were being priced in the same range as the US made ones granted they have a little more that comes with them. I happened upon an ad from Acctek USA where they have the machines imported into the USA already and they did not have the huge mark up. They were in the Chicago area and since I had a trip already planned to Chicago to visit family, I decided to go take a look at them. I liked them, especially for the price so put a deposit down on the AKM1325. Now I have about 2 weeks to get my garage ready before I make the drive back to Chicago to pick it up. I felt much better about being able to see the machine run and touch the machine before letting my cash leave my hand. Best thing was with a spindle, it came out to maybe about 1/3 what I would have paid to some of the other companies.

Looks like a pretty solid machine even though I chose the basic model. I really wanted the ATC machine that they had. Now I have to do a crash course in learning to operate Mach 3. I might be seeing an upgrade to Acorn in the near future. Really looking forward to getting back into the CNC world again with a larger machine. Here are some pics that I snapped with my cell phone. Not the best photos. I'll be posting more about my opinions on the machine once I get it all set up and start making some chips.

Attachment 405268
    Attachment 405270
    Attachment 405272
    Attachment 405274

Re: Finally Chose a 4X8 Router

Now I have to do a crash course in learning to operate Mach 3. I might be seeing an upgrade to Acorn in the near future.
    Do you think Acorn has the same language as mach3, so it use the same postprocessor ?

I'm sure it uses a different PP. I've just heard bad things about Chinese Mach 3 and know that the Acorn will give more control so am going in expecting to need to change that. If the Mach 3 works good then I'll be sticking with that.

To choose a suitable machine, most buyer will focus on its spindle, motor drive and system and structure thickness. After this, some one got good and satisfied machine, some one was regret after he started to use the machine or use for several times. The biggest difference is hided in Invisible parts. How the structure is processing to ensure its precision? How the circuit is designed to avoid interference and ensure safety? How mature of the workmanship? Why some one always got waved patten? Do a research before take it!

Quote Originally Posted by milo30 View Post
    I'm sure it uses a different PP. I've just heard bad things about Chinese Mach 3 and know that the Acorn will give more control so am going in expecting to need to change that. If the Mach 3 works good then I'll be sticking with that.
    So does the machine have a ESS ethernet board or how does it interface with the control system? The Acorn is a good choice for replacing the knock off Chinese boards and pirated Mach3. That may not be true in your case however there are a couple of good venders in Chicago area, one I know for sure is Automation Technologies
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Sorry been busy. yes it has an ESS ethernet board. I just made the trip to Chicago and sat the machine in my garage today. Have a ways to go to install a computer and run some 220 power to the CNC and the dust collector. Then I need to figure out how to setup and operate Mach 3. I figure that it will be a couple of weeks before I can actually get this positioned properly in the garage and running.

Haven't visited the site in quite awhile. Thought I'd update. I never got the Mach 3 going. I swapped it out for a Centroid Acorn system and ran that with no issues since. Machine runs great and is surprisingly accurate. I also came across a deal for an ATC spindle and went for it. I just got that all set up and operating. It will hold a total of 10 tools ( I made my own tool rack and should have spaced them closer and could have gotten more). The machine has been great. A couple of minor issues at first that I addressed and corrected but overall, I can't be happier with the purchase. All in a 4X8 CNC with a 3Kw ATC under $9,000. Who could complain about that?