585,971 active members*
4,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Having problems configure spindle on Mach3

Question Having problems configure spindle on Mach3

Hi.
    This is the first time for me on this forum so please be patience with me.
    I have billed a CNC machine and now I'm trying to configure the software (mach3) to start.
    I have purchased a licence of mach3, and I'm using a 5 Axis parallel port breakout board.
    I managed to run the machine and set the motor tuning and most of the ports and pins settings.

I encountered with two problems till now.

I managed to run the spindle on my machine but for some reason the speed of the spindle is not working by the software.
    The VFD parameters are correct because after a lot of experimentation I decided to short out the FOR and DCM and connected a 1.5 battery between the ACM and VI and the spindle ran very slow.I checked the voltage from the output of my breakout board which suppose is from 0 to 10 volts but for some reason it is always 9.8 volts no matter what I do in the software. I think that the problem is something from the software configurations but although I tried to search on you tube and google I found nothing that worked for me.

The second problem is. Because the machine is a bit large I had to put two motors on the Y axis and now I have Y and A axis slaved together. When I'm trying to home the machine my Y and A axis moves together but although I have two limit switches on each side, meaning one on the Y axis and one on the A axis it seems that the Y limit switch is only working. My home slave with master axis on general configurations is not checked but still the problem remains the same.

Can please someone help me with this problem.

Thank you in advance

Re: Having problems configure spindle on Mach3

Need to see all of your Mach3 settings, or post your Mach3 .xml file.

Are you using the parallel port, or a motion controller?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Sambogarage1

I’ve been familiarising myself with what appears to be the same break out board. I’ve notice after a lot of playing about with configurations that the 0 - 10v output doesn’t react to how I would expect it to. I have monitored the output with DVM but can see only small variations in voltage. I will in due time connect the output to an oscilloscope to see if some ideas of mine about the output are correct.

I’ve also tried to configure P1 as a PWM output but get similar effects - I’ve connect a LED via load resistor to see if the PWM varies the intensity which it does but not very effectively. Again an oscilloscope will verify this.

When I get time to investigate some - I’ll post some observations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy251 View Post
    Hi Sambogarage1

I’ve been familiarising myself with what appears to be the same break out board. I’ve notice after a lot of playing about with configurations that the 0 - 10v output doesn’t react to how I would expect it to. I have monitored the output with DVM but can see only small variations in voltage. I will in due time connect the output to an oscilloscope to see if some ideas of mine about the output are correct.

I’ve also tried to configure P1 as a PWM output but get similar effects - I’ve connect a LED via load resistor to see if the PWM varies the intensity which it does but not very effectively. Again an oscilloscope will verify this.

I managed to get mine working. Had to add a cap due to noise issues from the VFD. Must admit the pwm to voltage converter on this bob is not great

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy251 View Post
    Hi Sambogarage1

Yes most of these breakout boards only seem to hit around the 9.8v they are not linear as well, you can't expect much for $5.00, so you should get close to your max speed with the 9.8v then this can be adjusted in the VFD Drive, depending on what VFD Drive you have

Just shorting For and DCM should give you max RPM on startup if your VFD Parameters are set correct which sounds like they may not be set correct
    Mactec54