585,605 active members*
3,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: BT30 or R8/TTS?

Cliff

non-Tormach owner here who owns & loves my ITTP. Yes, I'm switching from R8/TTS to BT30 soon(ish).

I purchased a 10k cartridge spindle and have a few details to work out (new spindle motor, new PDB, bore the head for the spindle, etc.) but I should be starting work on the conversion soon.

Primary reason is that I want better process reliability than TTS affords so I can run with less attention. Despite having drawbar torque up to about 35-40ft-lbs I get tool pull-out with 3/8" & 1/2" end mills. Even with extremely short gauge length stub end mills, dry collet, and clean tool holder shanks. While its rare, the minute chatter or squealing starts I know the toolholder has probably moved.

I can mill aluminum all day long with no issue, but as I'm doing more steel work recently I find I have to be extremely conservative with my cuts to avoid any chatter. I simply can't trust the TTS with my particular mill on paying work. For personal stuff, fine - but when I don't have any extra customer stock I can't take a chance.

Your video demonstrating the reduction in friction due to vibration was very useful - very similar to a concrete vibrator. One of those can cause peanut butter consistency concrete to flow like water.

And thank you for the videos, very informative and much appreciated.

-Ralph

Thanks for that Ralph, most apprecieated.

"Primary reason is that I want better process reliability than TTS affords so I can run with less attention." Are you running a toolchanger ...or manual changes and just want to eliminate TTS shifting ?

(assuming you are not running one ) For doing your paying work, what are your thoughts on a toolchanger (I am making a video on this subject currently).

Cliff

Cliff,

Yes to both - I want a toolchanger to speed up production work, and I want to eliminate TTS pull-out. A BT30 spindle is the first step.

Not running a tool changer right now, but building/buying one is also in the near future after the spindle & motor are installed and sorted out. Right now I'm doing manual tool changes with a home-brew power draw bar.

The work I've been doing - so far - seems to require many tool changes. I've been trying to maximize productivity with multi-part fixtures, but it drives me nuts to have an expensive part-making robot slave who can't put down the fork and pick up the spoon without me.

As far as reliability goes, I have had a few jobs with longer (>5 minutes) roughing operations where it'd be nice to go do something else like clean the shop or whatever. But due to previous pull-out events I simply can't walk away from the machine if I'm cutting steel. Aluminum - fine. But not steel unless I've programmed extremely conservative tool paths with small (low pressure) tools. Even then I'm standing within arm's reach to feed-hold at the first sign of squealing. I've tried the old "let it run, see if it works itself out" method - no dice.

So - even if I never get a toolchanger, I still want to eliminate tool pull-out without resorting to frustratingly slow machining times.

Take this with a large grain of salt: I'm extremely new at machining & CNC, so I'm not any sort of expert on what is needed to do efficient production work. I just happen to be a new-ish hobby guy with a fantastic mentor who's been throwing his overflow work at me.

-Ralph

Pretty basic question- If you don't mind changing the tools by hand, the TTS is fine. But if you plan on an automatic tool changer system, the BT 30 is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by jdclark View Post
    Pretty basic question- If you don't mind changing the tools by hand, the TTS is fine. But if you plan on an automatic tool changer system, the BT 30 is essential.
    With a check for around $5000.00 sent to Tormach you to can have auto tool change with TTS or bt30 depending on spindle
    About half the price for the machine alone!

Page 3 of 3 123