584,829 active members*
4,690 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: BT30 or R8/TTS?

Another BT30 spindle orientation application would be for probe orientation. I know a couple of guys working on a probe macro for their new BT30 spindle to orient the probe so that the tip approaches each surface the same direction. Idea is to eliminate any variation in probe trigger distance due to the three contacts inside the probe theoretically triggering at different angles.

One would need a wireless probe, or a wired probe which has been converted to wireless, of course and idealy be tolerant of... impacts. Hint, hint Cliff.

-Ralph

Does anyone know the expected availability date for the BT30 option?

- Cliff

Tormach has offered a BT30 spindle for the 100 for many years. You can buy one as an after-sale "upgrade" for something like $700. Look on the website. But it is JUST a different spindle. It does NOT change anything else. It does NOT add spindle orientation, or support pull-studs. It uses a simple drawbar, just like the R8 spindle.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yes I know Ray, but what I wonder is when Tormach plan to launch the BT30 with toolchanger machine. Probably when they launch the MX range, but when will that be?

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Yes I know Ray, but what I wonder is when Tormach plan to launch the BT30 with toolchanger machine. Probably when they launch the MX range, but when will that be?

Cliff
    They initially said 4th quarter of 2018. Most recently "this winter", which could mean as late as the 1st quarter of 2019. So I guess the best answer would be "soon?".

"this winter ... in Australia!"

But its always winter in New Zealand....

And it's always "construction" season in Chicago...

Nice vid, thanks... I think I'd like to get the next one in BT30, with an adapter so I can still use my TTS tooling in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Nice vid, thanks... I think I'd like to get the next one in BT30, with an adapter so I can still use my TTS tooling in it.
    That is simply not going to happen. BT30 can no more hold TTS than TTS could hole BT30. The only way you could possibly put a TTS tool into a BT30 spindle would be using a BT30 ER32 (or perhaps ER40?) chuck.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    That is simply not going to happen. BT30 can no more hold TTS than TTS could hole BT30. The only way you could possibly put a TTS tool into a BT30 spindle would be using a BT30 ER32 (or perhaps ER40?) chuck.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Hi Ray - Yes I pretty much agree, I have been looking into this, and the issues with a BT30 3/4 collet, and am doing a final part 4 video including that subject. Cheers Cliff

BT30 x .750" set screw holder for the TTS shank. I wouldn't want to run a big 3/4" end mill in it, but to hold a probe, drill, or smaller EM I think it'd be OK.

https://www.maritool.com/product_inf...ducts_id=14907

https://www.shars.com/products/toolh...ll-tool-holder

https://techniks.fotcnc.com/end-mill...ll-holder.html

The Technics one you linked has the part number "3/4" but says "3/16" in the description. The one with "3/16" in the part number says "1/8" in the description. The one with "1/8" in the part number says "1/4" in the description. I would not trust the FOTCNC site unless they promise to pay return shipping if you get the wrong thing.

The maritool/shars seem like they could work? Anyone actually tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by spumco View Post
    BT30 x .750" set screw holder for the TTS shank. I wouldn't want to run a big 3/4" end mill in it, but to hold a probe, drill, or smaller EM I think it'd be OK.
    As long as you don't care about run-out, and buggering your TTS shanks with set-screw dents...

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    As long as you don't care about run-out, and buggering your TTS shanks with set-screw dents...

Regards,
    Ray L.

Well, yea, there is that. Hmph.

I guess we're back to "possibly doable but still a bad idea."

Seasons greetings to you all from down under!

Here is my final video in the series where I try to wrap up the subject and include some of your comments.

Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXGCfyTaJKY&t=3s

No comments guys? What do you think about the BT30 potential problems... and what are your future spindle type plans?

Cliff

No comments guys? What do you think about the BT30 potential problems... and what are your future spindle type plans?

Cliff
    I may upgrade one of my new 1100M's provided I can upgrade to have the encoder for rigid tapping. Otherwise, I've got waaay to much invested in TTS to change over. Most of my work is 1/4" EMs and smaller so the pullout has never been an issue. Also, I do preventative maintenance on the R8 collet on a regular basis (about once a month) and replace the collet and draw bar annually. I've had little to no pullout issues even with the shear hog.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Cliff
    Nice work Cliff. I use TTS on my Novakon. It uses a threaded rod for the pdb draw bar allowing the use of TTS or solid r8 tool holder. The tool changes take longer with the r8 shank, but there is less chatter and no chance of pullout using a solid holder. I think TTS is the biggest drawback with these small machines, but i really dont see better option relative to the overall cost/rigidity of the machine as a whole. There was a video of one of the Fadal founders who created a "cat r8" drawbar and tool holders for small machines he was developing. Too bad it never got any legs, as it looked like a cost effective way to have a true draw bar with a pull stud. TTS friction based tool holding where you also use lubricant is a recipe for cross contamination of the shank when changing tools etc. I really have to stay on top of insuring the outside of the collet is lubricated, while the inside has to remain clean. Tough to do when you make 100's of tool changes every day. Full disclosure, i push my machine hard every day using 1/2" tools. The use of High helix end mills in combination with HSM tool paths can really make these small machines very useful, unfortunately those two things increase the down force causing worse pullout issues.

Thanks guys - anyone planning to go to BT30 after considering these points discussed in the forum. and in the videos and youtube comments?

Cliff

Page 2 of 3 123