Cliff

non-Tormach owner here who owns & loves my ITTP. Yes, I'm switching from R8/TTS to BT30 soon(ish).

I purchased a 10k cartridge spindle and have a few details to work out (new spindle motor, new PDB, bore the head for the spindle, etc.) but I should be starting work on the conversion soon.

Primary reason is that I want better process reliability than TTS affords so I can run with less attention. Despite having drawbar torque up to about 35-40ft-lbs I get tool pull-out with 3/8" & 1/2" end mills. Even with extremely short gauge length stub end mills, dry collet, and clean tool holder shanks. While its rare, the minute chatter or squealing starts I know the toolholder has probably moved.

I can mill aluminum all day long with no issue, but as I'm doing more steel work recently I find I have to be extremely conservative with my cuts to avoid any chatter. I simply can't trust the TTS with my particular mill on paying work. For personal stuff, fine - but when I don't have any extra customer stock I can't take a chance.

Your video demonstrating the reduction in friction due to vibration was very useful - very similar to a concrete vibrator. One of those can cause peanut butter consistency concrete to flow like water.

And thank you for the videos, very informative and much appreciated.

-Ralph