584,846 active members*
4,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Mirror axis

Mirror axis

Hi,
    is there a way to mirror axis (Y-axis) in RhinoCAM post generator? So now in output I have positive Y but would like to have negative (same value, but negative).

Re: Mirror axis

You might want to mirror the Y axis in our CAD drawing and then post it again and it should work correctly.
    Russ

Mirroring ni CAD is not a good solution in my case, would be much happier if that would be done in by post processor, if possibe.

I don't see why mirroring the part in CAD wouldn't work for you, but I suppose you could configure a post that switched all the positive Y values to negative ones. Or do it in the CNC control program (Mach3 or whatever your machine uses) - remembering to switch it back when you wanted to make a regular part.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I'm doing some tests on woodworking cnc machine where coordinate system is rotated by 180deg arround X-axis, that means also Z axis is pointed downwards...
    So, anyone know how to flip those coordinates by post?

You can only rotate axis direction.
    Double click on Setup icon in TP tree, there you can see "rotate about" option.
    To set Z axis down, you need change Spin angle to 180 and click on appropriate axis button to rotate.
    Bad news is other axis will change too.
    I guess you can set Z downwards without XY direction change, if you choose right machine.
    I don't know how choose it manually, try load new machine configuration and see by yourself.

You can easily do a mirror post. I have posts mirrored in X and posts mirrored in Y. We use them everyday without issues.

Just go to the motion tab in the post generator and use a negative scale factor for the axis you want to mirror. For example Y would be -1 in your case.

If you want to maintain a cut direction, such as climb milling, then you would need to calculate your path to cut conventional, then when you mirror it, it will climb. Also remember that any engraved text will need to be mirrored in CAD ahead of time, as the mirrored post will mirror that too. The image below shows the X axis mirrored.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mirror.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	406300

Hope this helps,

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)