585,877 active members*
3,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Prolight 2000 - converted to Gecko and BOB - question on parallel port conection

Prolight 2000 - converted to Gecko and BOB - question on parallel port conection

Hi - I'm new to CNC and could use some help getting this machine going.

My specific question is - connecting PC parallel ports - go to which parallel ports on the machine. This was pre-setup complete and previously working, but at the time i purchased it the PC was no present. So its 50/50 chance i get them correct attaching to the Light machine modified control box.

Here is what i know about the machine:

Probabably about 10 yrs ago it was converted to Gecko drives, and a Sound Logic BOB and Mach 3 running on Windows using 2 parallel ports. One parallel port is on the PC mainboard I/O panel and the second is PCI add in card parallel port.

There are 3 parallel ports on the machine. The first one goes to the pendant and is labeled clearly, #2 and #3 are the one's that aren't labeled - so it is 50/50 chance of getting them correct.

I have read the Mach3 manual where it states 2 parallel ports can be used, but there is no documentation on connecting parallel ports to the BOB or other interface.

If it is non-damaging I would just test functionality, BUT I'm not sure this would be non-damaging to connect them wrong. And in Mach3 I'm not sure if it must be customized to the specific CNC machine.

But given it is using the Gecko G320X-DC drivers, and a common BOB (Sound Logic pc-2-route v1.9), maybe it is not so difficult.

I'll continue to read what i can find, if someone can point me in the right direction - I'd appreciate it.

Thx,

Paul G

Re: Prolight 2000 - converted to Gecko and BOB - question on parallel port conection

I dont know for sure but it looks like it should be pretty straight forward. Some pictures of the boards with the camera closer would be great. We need to see the markings on the BOB.

Regarding the DB25's, pull the cover off and see where each goes. But as you read in Mach, 2 ports can be used for more inputs/outputs if needed. I am guessing #1 is for the motion control and #2 is being used for pendants pin assignments and #3 is the physical connection for the pendant itself.

Do you have any experience setting up Mach 3 or 4? Are you aware of how to use MDI? Understand GCode? Just trying to get an idea of where to help. It can be pretty daunting, especially if it is all new to you.

Do you or dont you have the PC with the dual ports and Mach 3 installed?

If so fire it up.

If not it will take a bit of configuration of a PC with 2 ports and Mach itself.

And it is unlikely that it would damage the machine or pc if the ports were reversed but you would get no operation. Steppers are very forgiving too. Just keep your body parts out of any pinch points and be ready to press the Estop. Proceed with caution but not fear.

Also dont just plug in or unplug the cables powered up. Turn off the power to both the PC and the machine, give them 10-15 seconds to power down before disconnection. Make the change, power up, restart Mach.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Re: Prolight 2000 - converted to Gecko and BOB - question on parallel port conection

Thanks for questions to figure out where i'm starting from - pretty much learning it all at once. So a little daunting - yes.

Posting some additional pictures.

It is difficulty to see where the DB25's go. I'll pull another panel off for more visability

As shown on pictures the pendant goes to port one on the machine - so that one is confirmed - just 2 that im unsure about.

I don't have any experience with MACH3 or 4, other than installing the SW successfully on the PC I built to run this machine, and watching a few tutorials.

The PC i build has the DB25 extension card that came out of the original PC that ran this machine at conversion time - so likely that is compatible still.

The G-code makes sense to me logically - seems simple enough, I just have to learn the basic commands to get it to do what you want it to do.

MDI - i just read a bit about that very quickly. I don't have experience but looks like you can put MACH3? in this mode to run simple commands one Gcode line at a time, or machine a very simple feature using this in liu of a manual mill. I imagine this is run via MACH3.

There is a switch on the front control panel to put in manual mode vs CNC. I know that allows spindle speed control via the nob, but not sure if that is required for MDI or that is complete separation from MACH3 control.

I will fire it up and see what happens with finger on EMO. Then switch the ports on 2/3 if no function. This will also be the first time i have connected the PC to the machine with power.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I dont know for sure but it looks like it should be pretty straight forward. Some pictures of the boards with the camera closer would be great. We need to see the markings on the BOB.

Regarding the DB25's, pull the cover off and see where each goes. But as you read in Mach, 2 ports can be used for more inputs/outputs if needed. I am guessing #1 is for the motion control and #2 is being used for pendants pin assignments and #3 is the physical connection for the pendant itself.

Do you have any experience setting up Mach 3 or 4? Are you aware of how to use MDI? Understand GCode? Just trying to get an idea of where to help. It can be pretty daunting, especially if it is all new to you.

Do you or dont you have the PC with the dual ports and Mach 3 installed?

If so fire it up.

If not it will take a bit of configuration of a PC with 2 ports and Mach itself.

And it is unlikely that it would damage the machine or pc if the ports were reversed but you would get no operation. Steppers are very forgiving too. Just keep your body parts out of any pinch points and be ready to press the Estop. Proceed with caution but not fear.

Also dont just plug in or unplug the cables powered up. Turn off the power to both the PC and the machine, give them 10-15 seconds to power down before disconnection. Make the change, power up, restart Mach.

You got yourself some nice parts in that machine.

It will be a very straight forward set up. Just a matter of setting up the correct port addresses on the PC. Pin assignments in Mach etc. You dont by any chance have the original hard drive or xml file for Mach do you?

Check your pm's and give me a text or call. I can walk you thru some of the beginning bits and help confuse you a little more ;-)

Ok here is the next level of detail on the DB25's

As labeled on the machine:

-Port 1 is connected to the pendant:
    -Port 1 is connected to Port 2 on the machine - see second picture in this respons showing connecting cable - not sure if exact pin for pin, but i would surmise this is feedback for the pendant to the PC to MACH3, so it becomes a remote manual input to MACH3 and then feeds to the BOB???
    -Port 3 is the ribbon cable that plugs into the BOB.

So if PORT 3 is the primary input to the BOB (only input I think?), i am going to guess that original setup would be a DB25 cable from the IO panel parallel port on the PC to PORT 3 (to BOB) and the pendant return is going back through PORT2 to the PCI card PORT on the PC.

The original HDD and all its contents were in the PC that was "dead" but they wouldn't give me the HDD as they didn't know what data was on it, and not sure if it was the HDD that died. Understandable. But yea if I could get that file it would be plug and play.

I would only worry about the port that goes to the BOB at this time.
    Start setting up the ports and pins.
    The typical set up is
    X uses pins 2 & 3 on port 1
    Y 4 & 5 1
    Z 6 & 7 1
    Etc.
    I pm'd you my contact info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

duplicate.

Ok - i have X,Y, Z axis moving now with manual control and via MACH3 commands and Estop enabled. I think i have the charge pump working (not quite sure).

Next is the spindle control. Question is how to set it up properly in MACH3?

Machine config:
    HW wise - it should be all setup correctly (well meaning it worked for previous MACH3 XML that i don't have access to):
    -BOB is sound logic -PC2 Rev 3.
    -PMDX-106 spindle controller - is PWM, and i suspect relay for direction control (though not verified.
    -Output pins not used are 5 and 9, remainder used for X,Y,Z axis.

-PMDX instructs to use "output signal" Pin 14 for direction and Pin 16 for PWM.

I've read the MACH 3 manual and from that - am totally confused.

-I have enabled the spindle in "ports and pins/axis" with pin 14/16. and enabled PWM in the "ports and pins/spindle setup".

I think the part i need help with is:
    1. In ports-pins/axis should spindle be set to 14/16?
    2. In config/pulleys - i should just put a super large number it so it doesn't invoke a false over rpm signal
    3. In ports-pins/spindle - enable motor control, enable PWM - is this all required.

Anyway -thanks,

Paul

Update - i was able to figure out the spindle control:banana:

So now on to calibration of XYZ and spindle.

Does anyone know the encoder resolution (or counts per unit) of the servo's that came on these prolight 2000's?

Or is this information on the servo motor/encoder if i were to gain access to it?

Thx,

Paul

found now other way than to get to the encoder.

AMT103V - were the dP switch is set to 250 PPR.

So thinking this multiplies by 4 turns out at a 1000x per motor rev. X 5 revs/in x reduction of 28/15 gear teath = 9333 pulses per inch.

As it turns out actual after tuning is about 1058/1005 on y/z axis, and Z is about the same. But have an issue with the encoder of Z - time for a new thread on X motor/encoder.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Seems like you are progressing along. Good job.

Hi Paul,

I have the same machine and thinking to retrofit to mach 3. Could you please list what to keep and what to replace. I think I noticed the following from your pictures,

1. Break out board (dont know what model)
    2. Three Gecko Drives

Could you please list all parts with their model number so I can at least start with the correct parts

I have zero experience in electronics and have no idea how they operate! But I'll give it a tray since you made it work.

Thanks in advance
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    found now other way than to get to the encoder.

AMT103V - were the dP switch is set to 250 PPR.

So thinking this multiplies by 4 turns out at a 1000x per motor rev. X 5 revs/in x reduction of 28/15 gear teath = 9333 pulses per inch.

As it turns out actual after tuning is about 1058/1005 on y/z axis, and Z is about the same. But have an issue with the encoder of Z - time for a new thread on X motor/encoder.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.
    Hi Paul,

I have the same machine and willing to retrofit to mach3.

I've bought the following

1. C11 Breakout Board
    2. Geckodrive G-320x X3
    3. C41S – PWM Variable Speed Control Board

They are not the same boards you used but hopefully they will communicate.

I have a couple of questions,

1. How did you built your power supply, or what size of capacitors you used? Also, does your PSU provide enough power to all motors and spindle? How did you find it out the power required to feed for all equipment in this machine? I have this question because most of the parts on this machine are not labeled with voltage or ampage! I would appreciate if you could sketch a diagram of your PSU.

2. How did you connect your servo encoders? I am having a difficulty since each one has nine wires that I am not sure where they need to be connected to.

I would appreciate if you can share your experience and outcomes.

Thanks in advance!
    Sam