585,753 active members*
4,527 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3D Scanners ????

SOOOO.... I'm really interested in finding an entry level scanner that works with Solidworks, Handheld, Free standing, whatever works. I'm scanning parts with a VERY OPEN tolerance. ANY HELP would be appreciated.
    Thanks for ANY HELP you guys can give me.

Re: 3D Scanners ????

What sort of parts are you trying to scan? How big are they? What color? What are you planning to do with the scans? If you can answer these questions and quantify what you mean by "very open" tolerances, it would be easier to recommend something that would work for you.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Actually scanning fishing weights and lures. But need to be able to get it into solidworks so i can get a CAM post for the CNCs i use. Any ideas of what might do the job?? Thanks for the help.

The Capture scanners we sell would be able to do that, but I question whether it's really worthwhile to scan fishing weights, which tend to be rather simple shapes that you could model quite easily from scratch. Lures are more suitable, but they wouldn't be simple to scan, at least the floppy. kind. When you moved it to scan the other side, it would distort, and then the two scans wouldn't match up. For less than the price of the scanner, I could set you up with a tactile hardware/software system that would make it easy to design lures and weights, without the need for scanning.

I'm puzzled by the need to get the scans into Solidworks, which is intended for designing parts, and is not a CAM program. Does your setup include a CAM plugin for Solidworks?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

To be honest, I don't know where people find information about 3d because this sphere is still specific and it will be pretty difficult. When I looked for alternative to kik, I also faced difficulties but I managed to find what I wanted. I hope you will also do it