585,974 active members*
4,338 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thermwood cnc?

hello, this is my first post. a friend has asked me to get his cnc up and running. it is a 1983 vintage thermwood c20/model 35 (?), with a 2'x4' table, var spd 12 hp perske spindle router, and works with touchpad input only (i think), running cartesian 5. i have not seen it yet. does anyone know this machine? has anyone done this type of conversion before?

i suspect a controller compatable with pc interface and appropriate software will be required. i am just curious if any has gone down this path before?!?
    thanks for looking, this is a great board.

9100 is the latest model of control. Thermwood would sell you one I'm sure.

Hi Tim,

The older Thermwood's are generally well suited as retrofitting control candidates, but be careful with your controller selection, an '83 model may have DC drive motors, many less expensive controls will not handle those well, if at all.

Good luck,

Blaine

Hmmmmmm, point to point programming at the machine and incredibly large floppy discs.....those were the days.......NOT! My old boss bought two of those old relics, must have been on a nostalgia kick. You sure he is a friend??? Best application might be boat anchor. The one I got to move and cut I see is for sale at a broker, and has been there for a year. Good Luck, many challenges await.

Hello Tim

I am currently looking at buyinng and upgrading a similar machine. Will need to upgrade to new drivers and motors as well as a new controller. Did you have any success with yours and, if so, what route did you go?

Thanks for any info. I realize this was a while ago.

Dan Coyle

Anyone successfully upgrade a machine similar to this?