584,817 active members*
5,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

AWC708L; Connections to Laser Power Supply

I've looked at a raft of connection diagrams for controllers and laser power supplies and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Is it possible to have a manual momentary switch connected between HL to IN on the pwer supply while you have all the other connections in place? I want to be able to fire the laser without the controller on. However, won't be using this switch with the controller energized. What I need to know is how will this connection interfere when the controller is on? Not an electronic whiz, but I know enough to get in trouble here. I've included a diagram of my AWC708L to Laser supply connection diagram. Is there anyone that can see a problem with this setup?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attachment 405826

Re: AWC708L; Connections to Laser Power Supply

P to ground and H to 5v will turn it on but IN controls the power. Low voltage won’t energize the beam. Too high will overpower it. You could guess and drive it with a variable supply starting at about a volt. Don’t run it without water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. Could I install the typical pot between 5V IN and Grnd to control power. What do you mean P to ground and H to 5V will turn it on. Should I have a DPST switch to control each line simultaneously? Thanks for your help.

P to Ground means connect P to Ground which tells the controller that water is on. H to 5V tells the controller to fire. you can put this one on a momentary switch.
    you want to use your pot to create a voltage that goes between 0 and 5 volts by creating a voltage divider circuit. you supply a 5 volts in and the output of the circuit is a ranges between some low and high number not over 5. you don't need a switch on this line. you can buy a cheap circuit that tells you how much power, in milliamps, is going thru the tube. its not precise but helps you from overdriving the tube.