584,850 active members*
4,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > CNC Machining Centers > In at the deep end! Biesse Rover 27 wont turn on

In at the deep end! Biesse Rover 27 wont turn on

Hi all, first of all let my introduce myself, I’m James. Own and run and joinery company in york (uk) making wooden windows, doors kitchens and offices.
    Recently I decided to take the plunge and purchase a can. I knew it was going to be a strep learning curve, but I’ve fallen st the first hurdle and can’t even get the machine on!!i purchased 2001 Biesse rover 27. I chose it as it has the c-axis for locks and hinges. It came from a working local factory it was working and fully functioning right before my eyes before it was turn off and disconnected.

Skip to an week later. I’ve now got it installed and wired in. With the air in the machine turns on the cabinet fan runs the pod indicators illuminat, you can turn the vacuum pump on. But that’s it. The screen turns on but just repeats “boot record from floppy” this scrolls down indefinitely. The mouse intergral key board machine buttons and computer keyboard an mouse don’t work.
    It’s like it has no software on it .
    I have rung Biesse uk, they don’t get involved with machines over 10years old
    I know it may require a engineer visit for an indipendant.
    In the mean time I was just wondering if there’s somthing obvious I’m missing. And also if anyone knows of a service tech in the uk? M

Like I say deep end!!

Hope you can help a newbie thanks James

Re: In at the deep end! Biesse Rover 27 wont turn on

Looks like a hard drive failure, which if true, could be incredibly expensive to get running again.

I'd look at the PC and check all the cables and connections.

If you do get it running, make a clone of the hard drive ASAP. Preferably with an SSD. Make 2 while you're at it, cheap insurance.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Like Gerry says, check the "PC". The message is saying there is no Master Boot Record (MBR) on the HDD. It (the PC) can see it but can't identify the signature as a valid boot block on sector zero.

Ask the folks who supplied the machine, they may have used a floppy disk to boot and then start the software from HDD.

See if you have a bootable FDD (Floppy). If it has "fdisk" on it, you might be able to run "fdisk/mbr" to write the MBR to the HDD from the bootable floppy disk.

Warning: Before you do anything, it might be well worth cloning the HDD (as suggested) to a new disk using one of the many disk/image cloning programs out there.

If you are not familiar with this, find someone who if PC savvy and see if they can help but the behaviour looks like that of a typical PC related boot failure issue.

At 17ish years old, might even be a DOS version 5, 6 or 7.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...rating_systems

HI, Can you resolve the trouble?

Sounds like the bios battery has failed after being disconnected for a week.
    Often when the battery fails, the bios settings revert back to the default settings for the hard drive type, also a sign of this is the PC not starting when the CNC power is turned on and you have to start the PC using the power button on the PC.
    In the bios settings the hard drive type needs to be changed to recognise the installed hard drive.

Hi, I'm Ilario, I had a problem like you on the same machine, the primary hard drive has crashed, could I ask to you if you can send me a clone of the primary hard drive, probably I can solve replacing the corrupted one with another of the same machine, let me know if you can help me, please,
    best regards
    Ilario