584,802 active members*
4,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SL30-T Turret question

Is there supposed to be oil in this spot? was going through the machine doing maintenance, had a dirty prox sensor for x that was giving me fits, then I noticed this is full of oil on the back side of the turret with no cover? Haven't had a Haas lathe for very long, google didn't help Thanks in advanceAttachment 406174

Re: SL30-T Turret question

The only thing the manual says about lubrication for the turret is the 10 cups that go in the the gear side, so yeah, not sure why there's oil there. we had a tech out a month after we got it to do an alignment (6 months ago) not sure if he put it there or just left it? Not sure if I should remove it or leave it.

FWIW, Mori NLX models dose some waylube inside the turret. There is a small overflow hole on the backside that it and any contamination will eventually come out. Your hole looks like it is facing vertical? In the X+ direction? I would think it needs some type of cover to keep trash out, reference the chips in the extreme right of the photograph.

Attachment 406230

I got the gear side drained this morning and the top off, At first glance i would guess the seal is leaking between the two sides, I'm going to go ahead and take the oil out and if it ends up in there again I'll have my answer on that part.

What is that bellcrank arrangement?

I don't have any specs or drawings, here's a pic of it from a different angle

Attachment 406232

Quote Originally Posted by jbranting View Post
    Attachment 406230

I got the gear side drained this morning and the top off, At first glance i would guess the seal is leaking between the two sides, I'm going to go ahead and take the oil out and if it ends up in there again I'll have my answer on that part.
    The oil should be just on the left side and no oil on the right.
    I’ve seen it bebore
    Need new seal.

Yeah, there's an o-ring between the two chambers. The bad news is you'll need to do a fairly extensive disassembly in order to replace that seal.

Thanks for the confirmation, I cleaned it all out and it only took a day for it to fill back up to the same level. Guess a turret tear down is in my future. Looks easier to work on the the duplomatic turret in our old Cincinnati Milacron I rebuilt a couple years ago at least.