585,556 active members*
3,598 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool Release Piston - Shims

I picked up a 2005 HAAS VF2SS over the weekend and set it up.

I wasn't able to get the spindle to take a tool. The draw bar wasn't coming down far enough. I ended up following HAAS 30/40 Taper - Tool Release Piston - Sensor Adjustment - VMC and needed to add .05" shims. I can get a tool holder in the spindle now and everything seems fine.

As far as I know, there were no issues prior to transporting the machine. It did sit unused for a few months.

Curious if anyone has came across this, or if there is something else I should be concerned about or looking for other than shimming the striker plate?

Re: Tool Release Piston - Shims

A good temperature change is probably enough to cause this.
    Lee

I am in Minnesota and the machine traveled in 32 degree weather for 4 hours, would it be in my best interest to give it a week or so to warm up and re check everything?

That I can't tell you. I would say if it works with a shim when cold, it may still be in tolerance when it warms up.
    It could have been borderline tolerance before and freezing it changed that.
    Lee

Does it sound like the solenoids are running properly?

One issue with used machines is that you do not really know how dry the air was that was used in it.
    Poor quality air can stifle and kill parts over time.
    Lee

Yes, solenoids sound like they are functioning properly. Any way to test to verify? Somebody did mention possibly moisture in solenoid from traveling and temp change?

Did you check the drawbar?
    Make sure you set the clamp/unclamp switches after you added shims.
    Run it for a week and then check TRP Height to make sure it’s still the same .

Quote Originally Posted by bthomas7408 View Post
    Yes, solenoids sound like they are functioning properly. Any way to test to verify? Somebody did mention possibly moisture in solenoid from traveling and temp change?
    The only way you will get water / condensate in the valves would be through your air lines, which you need to check to make sure your air is dry this would not change the stroke of the draw bar though even if there was water or condensate in them

I would say that it is most likely over due for a Drawbar maintenance, it could also have a broken Belleville washer, even if it is just a clean up and new moly grease added it would be worth while, they are not hard to do
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by bthomas7408 View Post
    I am in Minnesota and the machine traveled in 32 degree weather for 4 hours, would it be in my best interest to give it a week or so to warm up and re check everything?
    When we got our TM1P we had a 1/2” cutter that wouldn’t fit into the 1/2” holder till it warmed up.