585,662 active members*
3,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Spindle failed after only 229 cutting hrs?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Spindle failed after only 229 cutting hrs?

I happened to be filming for a friend who is considering a TM-1 and wanted to see rigid tap work the exact moment the spindle started to chirp. After the tool change it spun up to 3500 rpm and got real loud quickly and was e-stopped until the Selway Tech arrived to diagnose.

https://youtu.be/cIbDhxI7otU

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by airjet View Post
    Where are you located ?
    North of Seattle
    2008 Haas TM-1, 2009 TL-1

Quote Originally Posted by maxine View Post
    I happened to be filming for a friend who is considering a TM-1 and wanted to see rigid tap work the exact moment the spindle started to chirp. After the tool change it spun up to 3500 rpm and got real loud quickly and was e-stopped until the Selway Tech arrived to diagnose.

North of Seattle
    If it is still cutting your work ok, then I would keep on using it, the repair won't change, it needs to be looked at sometime, it does sound like a Bearing that is bad, but like I said if it is cutting ok keep using it, the cost of the repair is not going to change, and you can keep on making money with it, what is the coolant you are using some are more aggressive than others as far as corrosion goes
    Mactec54

Hours at failure.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If it is still cutting your work ok, then I would keep on using it, the repair won't change, it needs to be looked at sometime, it does sound like a Bearing that is bad, but like I said if it is cutting ok keep using it, the cost of the repair is not going to change, and you can keep on making money with it, what is the coolant you are using some are more aggressive than others as far as corrosion goes
    The coolant is Trim e206. I keep it at 8%. Best I can tell it seems to work well. By that I mean the table, 4th axis, tool holders and sheet metal aren’t showing any signs of corrosion. I am not sure if it could have affected the spindle somehow.

The new spindle is ordered and shipped already. Unfortunately Selway made an error on the shipping address so UPS is trying to track it down for me. Hopefully they will have it here by Monday.

So did they charge a core charge for the old spindle?
    Do you have to ship it back?
    If not, you have a golden chance to see what went wrong and possibly rebuild it yourself or someone locally and have spare.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    So did they charge a core charge for the old spindle?
    Do you have to ship it back?
    If not, you have a golden chance to see what went wrong and possibly rebuild it yourself or someone locally and have spare.
    They change the whole spindle, you can not do an in place core change, with a precision built spindle, they are assembled in a clean room any contamination can destroy a spindle like this

Hass would charge you a core charge if you keep it
    Mactec54

That is about what I gathered from reading about spindles and repairs. Thanks for the confirmation.
    Lee

I would call C&M spindle in Oregon .. there great to deal with and way cheaper than buying a new spindle ,, they did a friends fadal for $2,200 a couple years ago ,, i`m thinking a Haas should be around that price.

Well the new spindle was installed a week ago. I had a chance to make several parts this week with it. I have no doubt now that the original spindle wasn’t right from day one. But since I had nothing to compare it two I didn’t recognize the issue. The new spindle is way, way quieter than the old one ever was. Not by a little but by a lot. Also the new spindle runs at a much lower spindle load when free spinning with just a tool in the holder. With the old one the spindle load ran about 12 to 14% at 4000 rpm. The new spindle runs about 4 or 5% at 4000. Also with the old spindle if I ran a very long cycle (40 mins or so) the tool would get stuck. Sometimes it wouldn’t come out without a very large bang at the tool changer. I had actually posted on here asking what to do about that because it was rocking the tool changer pretty hard and a few times the machine faulted out because it couldn’t pull the tool out. I have top quality holders so I knew it wasn’t those. Now I think it was because the spindle was heating up with use. Anyway you all were right I should have just changed it myself. The tech that came to do the job didn’t use a single tool that I didn’t already have in my shop. No special alignment procedure after the install. Just unbolt the old one and bolt in the new one. Total cost was $5900. But what really sucks is that Haas was no help at all. I couldn’t even get them to listen to me. By that I mean they wouldn’t stand behind a spindle that failed after only 229 cutting hours. Nearly $6000 for 229 hours of use is pretty miserable performance.

Break in program running.

is this the 2008 tm-1 you have at the bottom of all your posts? did you check with C&M spindle ?

Belts too tight?

The extreme runout vibrations can attenuate through the spindle and have negative effects on the sealed spindle motor bearings.
    Observe the operation of the spindle at increments of rpm change per 500. Do this CW & CCW. We have a mill that is limited to 2500. Anything higher and is sings.
    Be sure you’re adding the correct lubricant weekly at the oiling port located at the top of motor housing.
    *All resources checked and cross referencing done for acceptable feed rate combined with tool, material and rpms. Yet slowing the rpm was the right answer even though it went against all ink on paper guidance.

Page 2 of 2 12