584,866 active members*
5,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > DYN4 Main Power Wiring

DYN4 Main Power Wiring

Just got a .75kw DYN4 servo motor/driver combo for use as a spindle motor. I plan on using 220v single phase power for this but I currently only have 110v single phase and since it's the holiday season I'm not 100% sure when I'll have one installed. So I'd like to just get it setup and going with my CNC controller on 110v for now and rewire it for 220v when I can.

The part that confuses me is the wiring diagram for single phase input on page 22. I had thought I'd just be able to wire a power cable's hot/neutral/ground (or I think in the case of 220 hot/hot/ground IIRC) to the driver then be able to plug it in/unplug it from an outlet when I need it on or off. From my research, the R, S, T, are for 3 phase wiring but I can't much find info on L1/L2. So what do I wire here? Forgive me, most of my experience is in DC power which is much more simple. The wiring diagram just doesn't seem to anything that I understand well enough to figure it out.

Another side question is that there is a note not to connect the encoder's ground to the earth ground terminal on the driver and to (presumably) connect it to the terminal above that is the chassis ground. I don't see a ground wire coming from the encoder cable, so is there nothing I need to worry about there? The only bare wire with a connector on it seems to be the PE from the servo motor's 3 phases and it appears that is supposed to go to the earth ground on the front of the driver.

Re: DYN4 Main Power Wiring

You need 110 volts between terminals R and S, as well as between terminals L1 and L2.

So connect the hot wire to R and L1, and the neutral wire to S and L2.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    You need 110 volts between terminals R and S, as well as between terminals L1 and L2.

So connect the hot wire to R and L1, and the neutral wire to S and L2.
    Excellent, thank you. I assume I can share the earth ground with the servo’s earth grouns mounting spot on the front of the driver?

Also, how will this change with 220v? I thought 220v was hot/hot/ground, but maybe I’m mistaken and it’s the same.

It's actually 240V, not 220V. The second hot for 240V goes where the Neutral is. So it's basically wired the same.

You might want to check your voltage, as I have 246V at my house, which is close to the drive's limit. DMM recommend's a Line Reactor before the drive when using 240V.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks, ger21. I'll double check the voltage output once the outlet's installed in my garage. I'll also look into a line reactor too.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcogs View Post
    Just got a .75kw DYN4 servo motor/driver combo for use as a spindle motor. I plan on using 220v single phase power for this but I currently only have 110v single phase and since it's the holiday season I'm not 100% sure when I'll have one installed. So I'd like to just get it setup and going with my CNC controller on 110v for now and rewire it for 220v when I can.

The part that confuses me is the wiring diagram for single phase input on page 22. I had thought I'd just be able to wire a power cable's hot/neutral/ground (or I think in the case of 220 hot/hot/ground IIRC) to the driver then be able to plug it in/unplug it from an outlet when I need it on or off. From my research, the R, S, T, are for 3 phase wiring but I can't much find info on L1/L2. So what do I wire here? Forgive me, most of my experience is in DC power which is much more simple. The wiring diagram just doesn't seem to anything that I understand well enough to figure it out.

Another side question is that there is a note not to connect the encoder's ground to the earth ground terminal on the driver and to (presumably) connect it to the terminal above that is the chassis ground. I don't see a ground wire coming from the encoder cable, so is there nothing I need to worry about there? The only bare wire with a connector on it seems to be the PE from the servo motor's 3 phases and it appears that is supposed to go to the earth ground on the front of the driver.
    That's a small motor for spindle use, I'm not sure that would be ideal, what are you going to be milling with it and what machine you are using it on

The encoder cables you only have to plug them in

You need a power filter also as per Dmm's wiring schematic also
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    That's a small motor for spindle use, I'm not sure that would be ideal, what are you going to be milling with it and what machine you are using it on

The encoder cables you only have to plug them in

You need a power filter also as per Dmm's wiring schematic also
    I’m using a G0704 sized machine so it should be decent. IRRC the torque was comparable to a 1.5HP induction motor/VFD. I believe the S3 Tormach 770 uses a 1HP induction motor and it can take a pretty nice cut. I’d imagine I’ll lose out first to my machine’s rigidity.

But I’ll mostly be cutting aluminum and occasionally mild steels most likely. The stock 1.5hp brushless motor just had no torque without being geared down.