584,812 active members*
5,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Unhappy Pokeys57cnc and THC in mach3 or 4

I have been trying to get my THC Proma 150 up and running on my Plasma table running with Mach3 AND tried Mach4 as well. I had no luck. My lights lit up on mach screen but Z axis just won't move. I guess current in, mapping or script is the problem. Anybody have an idea what could it be, anyone working with pokeys?

Re: Pokeys57cnc and THC in mach3 or 4

This post is old. But I have the same setup with pokeys57CNC and the Proma THC. Wondering if you got yours working?

Hi,
    my understanding is that the PoKeys 57CNC does no support realtime THC in Mach4.

It may or may not suppoort realtime THC in Mach3, I just don't know. I would suggest e-mailing PoKeys with your
    enquiry.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    my understanding is that the PoKeys 57CNC does no support realtime THC in Mach4.

It may or may not suppoort realtime THC in Mach3, I just don't know. I would suggest e-mailing PoKeys with your
    enquiry.

Craig
    Thanks for the response. I was under the impression that they do, considering they sale their own version of a THC that looks exactly like the Proma called the PlasmaSenseOut. Also there are instructions for connecting their THC to the Pokeys57cnc board and configure it in both Mach3 and Mach4.

https://www.poscope.com/wp-content/u...ual%20v1.2.pdf

Hi,
    the Mach4 implementation relies on Mach4's scrpit based THC feature, it does not mean that the 57CNC is implementing realtime THC control.
    Realtime control is desirable because the closed loop bandwidth is an order of magnitude faster than the script based solution.

Craig

Hi,
    the Mach4 implementation relies on Mach4's scrpit based THC feature, it does not mean that the 57CNC is implementing realtime THC control.
    Realtime control is desirable because the closed loop bandwidth is an order of magnitude faster than the script based solution.

Craig
    Okay. That makes sense. But regardless, it is what I got. So, I want to try to get it to work. Even if slower than a real time solution. So if there are any pointers out there to get it working, I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick7251 View Post
    Okay. That makes sense. But regardless, it is what I got. So, I want to try to get it to work. Even if slower than a real time solution. So if there are any pointers out there to get it working, I would appreciate it.
    Got mine up and running yesterday. P57cnc/THC150.

I used the ADC connector, wires 7-10, to the Proma. 10 (gnd) went to common, the others stuck in wherever. These 3 are p57 pins 43-45. You must arrange the pins as digital inputs with inverted signals in the configuration for P57. Then activate THC function (up/down signals) in the pulse engine. In mapping tie pins 43-45 to their function.

Lastly setup Mach3 to accept the THC input.

This got THC functioning, but it's not working properly and seriously needs tuned. It's unuseable, swinging +/- .5" per move.

I've been pouring effort into getting this to work but no luck at all. Sometimes the THC functions, albeit wildly out of control but the z axis does move, and other times it doesn't do crap. Pokeys has been of zero help beyond- ya, just hook it up.

**** this thing. Where can I buy an equivalent device with American tech support?

Hi,
    Ethernet SmoothStepper by Warp9TD and TexasMicroController (TMC) THC unit.

https://warp9td.com/index.php/kunena...ral-discussion

Note that this solution works best for Mach4.

Craig

It's just so dang frustrating. Got the THC to work intermittently, then out of nowhere the probing routine does a -Z plunge instead of a retract. Where the hell did that come from? It's the erratic nature of the errors that's the real problem, if they were consistent at least one could compensate for them.

I'm going to give pokeys until friday before I order new components. This wait a day for tech support is BS when when their answers are 1 line only. No questions on their end, you'd better be specific.

Hi,
    don't do plasma myself but I have helped two customers with Mach4, Hicon Integra and Proma THC150. Getting THC to work with that combination is not too bad
    but whats really critical is the anti-dive features. Hicon/Proma does a pretty fair job.

I don't have any hands on experience with the TMC/ESS combination but reports from different users support the contention that the TMC/ESS anti-dive features are better again
    than Hicon/Proma.

I understand that certain CAM software can be very useful with respect to anti-dive by disabling THC when decelerating or crossing a previously cut path, I recently read a post
    where the poster commented favourably about SheetCAM in this regard.

Craig

Thanks Craig.

I've had this Proma for a while and it does a great job, just not used it with this board yet. The p57 has great motion control, its very smooth with THC deactivated.

I may have dicovered some of my error sources today- Mach3 must be restarted after basically board change. That's a nuisance, but should be a one time deal.

I can only see a use for anti-dive as a safeguard. Not sure why software would ever attemp to recut the same line or cross it?

Hi,

I can only see a use for anti-dive as a safeguard. Not sure why software would ever attemp to recut the same line or cross it?
    Well there we part company. Its my experience that the true utility and usability of a plasma table is determined by the anti-dive features, assuming
    that basic THC is functioning correctly.

When a plasma is cutting at the correct speed the effective arc length is slightly more than the torch height above the material surface. The arc is
    'attached' to the material approximately 1/2 way through its thickness. What happens when the machine slows down as it approaches a corner?. The machine must decelerate
    and therefore the arc will penetrate the material somewhat deeper with a consequent increase in arc voltage for which the THC tries to compensate by reducing the
    torch height. As the machine slows its possible for the torch to 'dive' into the material. This will occur whenever the machine is traveling at less than optimum speed.
    It also occurs if the path crosses an already cut path, at the crossing point the arc voltage will spike high because at that instant there is no material directly under the
    torch and the THC unit will attempt to 'dive the torch' to compensate.

Both the customers that I was working with had high throughput demands and the anti-dive features really determined the ease of use. In both cases they used Mach4, the Hicon Integra
    and the Proma, ostensibly because at that time the Hicon was the only Mach4 ready controller to support realtime THC. More recently the ESS and TMC unit have realtime THC support
    and with even better anti-dive features.

Craig

Hi,

Well there we part company. Its my experience that the true utility and usability of a plasma table is determined by the anti-dive features, assuming
    that basic THC is functioning correctly.

When a plasma is cutting at the correct speed the effective arc length is slightly more than the torch height above the material surface. The arc is
    'attached' to the material approximately 1/2 way through its thickness. What happens when the machine slows down as it approaches a corner?. The machine must decelerate
    and therefore the arc will penetrate the material somewhat deeper with a consequent increase in arc voltage for which the THC tries to compensate by reducing the
    torch height. As the machine slows its possible for the torch to 'dive' into the material. This will occur whenever the machine is traveling at less than optimum speed.
    It also occurs if the path crosses an already cut path, at the crossing point the arc voltage will spike high because at that instant there is no material directly under the
    torch and the THC unit will attempt to 'dive the torch' to compensate.

Both the customers that I was working with had high throughput demands and the anti-dive features really determined the ease of use. In both cases they used Mach4, the Hicon Integra
    and the Proma, ostensibly because at that time the Hicon was the only Mach4 ready controller to support realtime THC. More recently the ESS and TMC unit have realtime THC support
    and with even better anti-dive features.

Craig
    I think you are operating your machines at a much more stringent pace than I am, or was prior to upgrade. I was pretty happy to see 65ipm, but the haven't had time to tune the new unit and see what it'll do.

Sounds like I should have selected the ESS from the beginning. If I wanted to get a complete controller/thc package with the ESS and whatever else, would Warp9 be a good firm to contact?

Hi,

If I wanted to get a complete controller/thc package with the ESS and whatever else, would Warp9 be a good firm to contact?
    If you are using Mach4 then definitely the ESS/TMC combination has much to recommend it. Note the TMC unit is reasonably pricey, so while its a good
    solution you will pay for it.

If you are using Mach3 then the ESS/TMC combination is still good but loses some of its avantages and the question of cost relative to other well
    performing combinations like the 57CNC/Proma come into contention.

Craig

Two things have happened-

1) I ordered the Pokeys version of the Proma. It should be the best possible combo for the P57 board and software, and I like the optical communication.

2) I have laid out my next solution. Ess/TMC3in1, with a Leadshine MX4660 and 600w, 48v power supply.

If the Pokeys doesn't work, I'll set the whole panel on the shelf and start over with that combo. That little table makes me too much money to have finicky controls.

Followup-

Pokeys is on the shelf next to the Proma (and for sale!). I canceled my order for the Pokeys version of the Proma. Delivery was 30 days out and I was disenchanted with Pokeys tech support.

The new ESS/TMC 3in1 combo runs great, it's very well documented and easy to setup. It's kinda pricey, but it ACTUALLY WORKS! Warp 9 was VERY patient with me and the order was in hands with 4 calendar days including a weekend.

The only downside I see is that Sheetcam is the only CAM package for which they have a fully functioning post file. If you like Sheetcam you'll be fine, if not this probably won't be any fun. I'm not well versed in it, and find it clunky to use but that's probably the inexperience talking.