585,722 active members*
4,607 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Garage Shop with newbiie question

I just finished up my small shop in my garage. I am look around for works and found this website (well, actually I signed up this website a while now but was for information and learning mainly) but now to start a shop and I saw this section for works so I just wonder:

1. How do I trust you or you trust me to send works to me?
    2. If I do works for you how do you pay? Pay first, finish work and send to you OR the other way?

I am cnc machinist for 11 yrs now, running Haas, Makino, MillTurn machine.... Well, I know how to do stuffs but never get works from online....so if any of you know/suggest how this work please feel free to teach/show me.

Thanks, and any infor or reply would be much appreciated.

Re: New Garage Shop with newbiie question

Well it requires a lot of trust on both sides. But I have never been burned, people are generally honest. I have had more problems with local customers, have about $10K in receivables out over 180 days between two customers, but it's all labor so no real out of pocket.

You do have a name, phone number, and a ship to address, and some emails back & forth does create a contractual relationship under the UCC, so you are protected to a degree there also. Also you have a rather large international audience here to report to if things go south, but that works both ways.

Normally less than $1000 in material I just trust. Much more than that a deposit to cover material at least might be in order, depends on your risk tolerance. I did one $20K job from here, no problems, 50% down, balance on delivery.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: New Garage Shop with newbiie question

Thanks Jim,
    I will keep those in mind One thing I am thinking..if i do work for someone here then if good ask for review and hopefully other will give me works but yeah...the fun about to start...I hope