584,826 active members*
5,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Hardware > X-Axis wires coming through cable chain

X-Axis wires coming through cable chain

[UPDATE] My supplier has suggested that I open the cable chain and bind all the cables together firmly with electrical tape. I've just done this, and I'll see how it goes. I'll post another update later to report the results (after a reasonable period of time has passed).

Hi there guys and gals, my Chinese laser engraver (which I've had for the last 11 months), is now starting to have wires from inside the X-Axis cable chain come through.

The wires keep poking through from a number of different cables inside, all along the entire length of the chain. I cut the protruding wires and wrap the breaches with electrical tape, but it never lasts long before more wires start to poke through again.

The logical conclusion would be to replace the whole cables of the X-Axis, but they seem to run quite a long way through the machine and its a little out of my expertise.

Does anyone know what the X-Axis wires control? Mine seem to be connected to the Guide Laser and Auto Leveler, but there's a lot more than just those two wires in there.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you might have.

- Grant

Re: X-Axis wires coming through cable chain

Best to replace them sooner than later before they cause major damage. Use some more appropriate/flexible wire runs. If it's happening to some it'll likely happen to all eventually so be pro-active and replace them all. If you are not comfortable replacing them, find a local Technician. If you trace and label the cables at both ends it should not be difficult but there may be some soldering/re-termination in plugs and sockets.

You could ask the Supplier about warranty if its still within the warranty period.

Hi hi1957, thanks for that reply. Yeah, I've been trying to patch them up myself in the hopes that I've seen the end of it, but the problem isn't going away with 'bandaid' fixes. I've contact my supplier today about the issue, just to see what they say.

I'll definitely get a technician in to have a look at the cables to see they can be replaced, but I'll wait until my supplier replies to see what they say.

Cheers,

Grant

The Supplier/manufacturer should follow this up with an active investigation and possible retro-fit if they can identify a bad cable supply so as to avoid potentially more expensive fixes later on. What you've described/shown seems quite rare and obscure but problems like this could be potentially difficult to troubleshoot; especially if two cables had done this and shorted together in the same time frame.

Humm, just a thought; anything "corrosive to plastic" been spilt on the cables?

A$0.02 :-)

Nothing corrosive. The machine has been kept clean and well maintained, and it's in a nice clean environment. The cables do feel very thin and flimsy, which is likely a cost-saving thing because its Chinese.

Their reply via email was quick, and they didn't ask for clarification or extra pictures, which might suggest that they are aware of the problem and that the taping is a 'hotfix'. I'm not sure how they would render any better solution other than sending replacement cables to me (with instructions). Unless they had a repair rep somewhere in this country.