584,837 active members*
5,784 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Centroid CNC Control Products > Using a third-party probe and tool height setter?

Using a third-party probe and tool height setter?

I'm using a Centroid Allin1DC board. It sells the tool height and probe w/ software option for $2.4k, which is as much as the board itself! I don't need that level of accuracy, so I'm perfectly content with a random Chinese probe and tool setter for $200. It's not clear though, if you need to buy some software package to get the third party probes to work, or if that's even possible. Has anyone used third-party probes for Centroid Allin1? Do you need to buy anything from Centroid to get these to work?

Re: Using a third-party probe and tool height setter?

I use this one for tool heights: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYH4YJR

I have the Drewtronics probing probe: https://drewtronics.org/s5000led

I use the first one as a stationary tool height offset measurement on my Centroid Acorn controlled cnc router and the second as a typical touch probe. Both work great.

You can use 3rd party tool-touch off devices as well as probes with the Centroid control. You will still need to purchase the Automatic Tool Measurement software as well as the Probing software for that particular system. Please contact Centroid Tech Support at [email protected] and provide them with your control serial number or a current report from your system. They will be able to provide you with a DEMO code so that you can use those items to test with and if you like the results then you can call them to purchase those features. I would also recommend looking at their DP4 and TT1B manuals to get the correct wiring and setup information.

Quote Originally Posted by cnctechml View Post
    You can use 3rd party tool-touch off devices as well as probes with the Centroid control. You will still need to purchase the Automatic Tool Measurement software as well as the Probing software for that particular system. Please contact Centroid Tech Support at [email protected] and provide them with your control serial number or a current report from your system. They will be able to provide you with a DEMO code so that you can use those items to test with and if you like the results then you can call them to purchase those features. I would also recommend looking at their DP4 and TT1B manuals to get the correct wiring and setup information.
    I wasn't able to find the price of the software distinguished from the price of the probe and tool measurement hardware anywhere on Centroid's website. Do you know where I can find that?

As of right now, the cost for the Automatic Tool Measurement software is $362.50 and the cost for the Probing software is $795.

Quote Originally Posted by slodat View Post
    I use this one for tool heights: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYH4YJR

I have the Drewtronics probing probe: https://drewtronics.org/s5000led

I use the first one as a stationary tool height offset measurement on my Centroid Acorn controlled cnc router and the second as a typical touch probe. Both work great.
    What has been your experience with the drewtronics probe. I have the same one, when I probe a bore it often does not come back at the center of the bore, usually off a few .1mm's.