584,814 active members*
5,235 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > CNC (Mill / Lathe) Control Software (NC) > which cnc package cuts 2D parts with least extraneous cuts?

which cnc package cuts 2D parts with least extraneous cuts?

Heya guys,

which CNC package cuts 2D pockets the most intelligently, with the least amount of running over paths that were already cut, and with the least Z repositioning moves (for 2 axis cutting)?

Quote Originally Posted by mbwittig View Post
    Heya guys,

which CNC package cuts 2D pockets the most intelligently, with the least amount of running over paths that were already cut, and with the least Z repositioning moves (for 2 axis cutting)?
    I don't know if it is possible for anyone to answer your question due to the following:

Are you referring to a design CAD / CAM package, or to a program like Mach3 which sends out step / direction signals to move the various axis?

The actual paths to cut the pockets is the g-code which is created either manually, or by a program which creates the g-code from a CAD drawing.

If the part with the pockets is created via a CAD package, the g-code produced will be in the order that the part is drawn. (First cad line = first cut). However, some CAD / CAM packages that can also produce the g-code files, may have built in algorithms to maximize the g-code and therefore minimize the machine cutting time.

Sorry I cannot give you an answer to your question.

True, I should have said CAM software. Mastercam, Surfcam, etc... OK how about some opinions now.

Try SheetCAM. All CAM programs tend to have some overcut problems even the real expensive ones. The pocketing cut (spiral cut) has worked good for me in the past. The price differential may convience you to give it a hard look.

www.sheetcam.com