585,589 active members*
2,849 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Help Needed!

Help Needed!

Hey guys,

Im working on a Haas TL-2. We have a job coming up that calls for some copper to be turned down to .06" for 1.5" long. stock size is anything over .125". my problem here is that no matter what i do i will have a taper. My boss suggested turning back .125" from stock down to the finish size, then starting again, from the stock turning down to .125" but now an 1/8" back from the start of the part. and repeating this until the diameter is finished turning.

However i havent got a clue how to program that on the haas. I've looked into macros and the sort, but Im not sure if the machine even has that functionality, or how to go about doing it altogether. I understand the concept of what the program needs to be. I just lack the verbage to do it.

I think itd need to be something like:

zAxis = 0
    While (#ZAxis < 1.5) Do
    <Subroutine here>
    ZAxis = Zaxis -.125

Obviously im sure im off on this by a bit. but the basic idea is there i believe. can anyone give me some much needed help?

Re: Help Needed!

hy let's see this in milimiters : o1.5mm x 38 from stock o3.2

look for a gang lathe ? google " cnc turning long thin parts "

you may improvise a following rest

you may try turning between centers ( grooving + gentle finish ); look for a solution, so to clamp manually the live center, without using the hidraulic

google " turning box tools "

kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

It's only 12 step overs to move over 1.5 inches. I would edit the G code manually, just copy & paste the first pass then adjust the Z position. But.........

I don't think you are going to turn a piece of copper that skinny and long, 24 diameters, without the suggestions from deadlykitten above.

If I were doing this without a box tool, I would do somewhat as your boss suggests. But rather than hanging the part out 1.5 inches, I would have about 1/4 inch stick out and work on the first 1/8 inch, then using a bar puller, pull it out another 1/8 inch, and so on. Again this is just a quick copy & paste of the G code, and in this case the Z position would not change.

Let us know how this job works out. I can't imagine trying to turn a soft gooey piece of spaghetti like this.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

hello again, hello jim if the part is cut with several chuck clamps ( using a puller, etc ), then a spaghetti crankshaft will appear

on a normal cnc lathe, he may use a bigger stock ( no more then o25-o30 ) + roughing tool + finish tool with gentle cutting force, and low radius corner, maybe sharp cutting edge, alligned pretty well among Y; roughing & finishing 2-3mm at one time

bigger stock won't bend

to reduce rugosity, with a bit of preparation, he may sent this part to a grinder, or, if really needed, he may grind it on the lathe; this "grinding chapter" is another story, and i don't think that it will be needed, but is good to know that it is possible

i just googled haas-tl2 : mmm meow meow

winter is coming / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg