Greetings everyone.
I'm going to start with a short intro. I've been machining for 18 years. I ran mills, lathes, wire EDMs. I have experience with Bridgeports, a Millport converted with Anilam Crusader II, Southwest Prototraks, Seimens 2400 controller on an H.H. Roberts mill, and lately Hurco VMCs all on a professional level.
I've been dying to find a VMC of my own but they've all been too expensive, too clapped out, or too far away.

In March I found a shop that was closing with a very cheap CNC Bridgeport listed on FB, but was sold in 5 minutes. I started chatting with the gentleman who listed it anyway. He was the foreman and close family friend of the owner. The owner passed, the kids weren't interested, and they were downsizing the shop. He offered a Fadal. I had experience with a ton of machines but never a Fadal previously. I went to check it out. It was a 1993 VMC40 with 88HS control. Cat40 tooling. It looked incredibly dirty but you could still see the scrapes on the table. It had 19k hours on time, but only 5k run time. (That's barely 2 years at 40 hours a week) of actual use. The machine was purchased new and had records of annual maintenance. I took a day to go up there. Did a few tool changes, brought a tenth indicator and ran over the table on X, Y. Mag base on the table to check Z. The ways were shiny except where it sat, parked, had discolored from coolant and age. With my indicator in the spindle, it had about .0003 across the length of x and .0001 over Y. (22" x 16")
Spindle run out was about .0002 (when I pushed up on the tool), and about .0006 when there was no load on a tool seated by hand. The X is a little loud on full rapid but I've read it's common for the thrust bearing to go.

It came with a Renishaw optical probe camera and box, but I'm missing one critical piece and I'm not sure what it is. It also had a cog driven belt, which I guess was an upgrade. 10k rigid tapping spindle with a Baldor motor.

I bought it and he threw in a rotary A axis and 4 tool holders with collets. I hired riggers and they delivered it. I used a digital level on the table to level the machine on 8" concrete in an old industrial building I'm renting. I have my own 220 3 ph supply and it appears clean but that's only measured with a Rat Shack ohm meter.

I've been making small parts. One part I make is a special washer with a sortof tight tolerance. .5512-.5520 diameter
I bolted down a sheet, drilled the ID, bolted down, milled the .5512-.5520 shoulder, milled the outside profile. No magic there. They all came out great. I was able to hold that dimension over 250 parts.

Now I'm working on a giant cast iron casting. The thing is probably 60 pounds. It has a 5" thru hole for clearance and a 6.000 +.003/-.000 bore for a pilot. I circle interpolated (minus .010 on the walls) to hog out material and ended up with a diameter that was 5.988 across X and 5.979 across the Y.

.002 on X? That's can be dismissed as tool wear. What I think I'm seeing is some progressive error where. It's undetectable on a micro level (like the washers), but on a macro level it's exacerbated (like a 6" bore).
I bought a Criterion boring head because I knew the pilot needed to be perfect (and I nailed 6.002), but losing .008-.010 over a 6" diameter concerns me. I don't have a mic'ing bar I can double check the machine against. Admittedly I never "tuned" any voltage frequencies either, which leads me here, and now. I just discovered this last night, the 28th. I missed the long holiday weekend where I could've flipped through the book to see but I thought I'd post up here anyway to get a second opinion.
Otherwise it's been a fantastic machine for the time I've owned it and I'm hoping to get many more years out of it.