585,679 active members*
5,107 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Engraving help? Which tool for this depth?

Engraving help? Which tool for this depth?

Hey guys. I have a print that requires some letters engraved on 6061. They are .5" high with each letter being at a minimum of .048" wide (slotting width of the letters).

Depth needs to be .050".

Now, I've done plenty of engraving features before using plain o' V-bits, but none that is required for this job. I've played around using a .048" end mill to do the job in CAM, but even that doesn't get into some of the tight radiused corners of the letters. We're talking micro machining here.

What is the best way to go about doing this feature without getting too involved here? I understand that specifics of the engraving itself won't be followed *too* closely (like depth within reason). But what is important is the 'style" of the letters (font) and how close it is replicated.

Thanks!

Attachment 406778

Re: Engraving help? Which tool for this depth?

Not sure what you are asking. You say the letters are .5" high... do you mean .5" deep, or are the letter raised (or proud) of the material surface?

If you mean letter depth, then the only option I see is using the micro bit like you already are. .5 inch is extremely deep for such narrow lettering. You don't say why but I can think of no reason unless it's a mold or something? It simply may not be possible with a router or engraver and a laser or other process may be the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    Not sure what you are asking. You say the letters are .5" high... do you mean .5" deep, or are the letter raised (or proud) of the material surface?

If you mean letter depth, then the only option I see is using the micro bit like you already are. .5 inch is extremely deep for such narrow lettering. You don't say why but I can think of no reason unless it's a mold or something? It simply may not be possible with a router or engraver and a laser or other process may be the only option.
    No sir! The letters themselves are .5 high and .050" deep. I thought the image would illustrate that, but that's what the gig is.

From what my thoughts are, it looks like I'm going to be buying even a smaller end mill (like .031") and let it do it's thing. However, cycle time will be through the roof.

aaah, that makes more sense. You could always use a high angle v-bit first and then use the micro bit to clean out the flat bottom and sides of the lettering. Otherwise I imagine you're right and the number pf passes would be crazy if you used the micro bit for the entire process. I know they are pretty fragile. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    aaah, that makes more sense. You could always use a high angle v-bit first and then use the micro bit to clean out the flat bottom and sides of the lettering. Otherwise I imagine you're right and the number pf passes would be crazy if you used the micro bit for the entire process. I know they are pretty fragile. Good luck.
    I do have V bits so I might give that a try and make two ops of it. Ultimately, I do prefer something else to do the heavy lifting in this feature. I'll figure something out when at the machine.

Thank you for the support!