585,749 active members*
3,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Chinese ETS only has red, green, blue and orange wires.

Chinese ETS only has red, green, blue and orange wires.

A few years ago I bout a Chinese ETS but have not installed it. The Chinese instructions didn't help. Searching online the hook up instructions mention grey and brown wires, I only have red, green, blue, and orange. Can anybody tell me which wires go on which pins?

Thanks,
    John

Re: Chinese ETS only has red, green, blue and orange wires.

A cheap multimeter (VOM) is your friend! Most of the Chinese ETS units have a normally closed contact (opened on mine when the top surface is slightly pressed) and a normally open over travel contact that closes when the top surface is depressed perhaps a tenth of an inch. Check for continuity between each pair of wires while pressing lightly on the top. You only need to use the switch that opens when pressed.

Thanks, I'll give it a try today. I still have my ancient Simpson VOM

John, why are you going to use an ets, is this just to set tool heights or are you using it in your programs to check tools/tool breakage etc?
    mike sr

Mike, I got it just to quickly set tool lengths. I haven't done anything in my shop for a year. I'm back now, cleaning up the shop and the machines. Had a Chinese ETS I bought G-d only knows when, so I decided to hook it up. A while back I lost PahPilot ant with it all my tool settings. I have far too many tools and it would take forever and a day to manually input all of them. With the ETS it was done in a jiffy. Caveat: I checked a few lengths manually and found an occasional variance of a thou. So for any critical work I'll check tool length manually. At this moment I'm not making anything that's likely to go to the moon :-)

Update; I don't know what to do with this ETS. Repeatably is non existent and it's too light to use as a boat anchor.. Paperweight perhaps? I still have my trusty digital height gauge and a backup, crank operated, no battery required height, gauge.