585,712 active members*
4,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can I Build A Cnc Table Out Of These Parts?? Pics

Will these parts work?:
    http://www.cool-o-rad-o.smugmug.com/...5699#150489276

I think I have most the parts to build a cnc table but I don't have the knowledge or the time to learn right now to put it together. All the parts are from a CNC machine that was built by a reputable company a few years ago for drilling and tapping metal beams, it just needs to be reconfigured into a table and a router attached. I also want to make it plasma tourch and possibly welder capable. I just want it for hobby use. I don't sell parts yet, but might consider it. I can pay for direction, or you can have time on it, or I can do something else for you. I have a nice welder and my mill and lathe will arrive in a couple months. I'm in Larkspur, Co on the front range. Lets talk.

could you post a pic of the parts and or machine you want to convert?

Yep I'll try to take them monday and get the specs. I'm sure i'll need something more, especially if the drill height mechanism can't be used as tourch/router height control and i'm guessing it can't

Got Pics....
    http://www.cool-o-rad-o.smugmug.com/...5699#150489276

Let me know what parts I need. Theres a guy that wants the box in the first two pics. Shoud I hang onto that? It actually went to a seperate machine. I guess what I'm asking is are these choice parts to build a CNC table out of? What else would I need/cost for parts? Maybe I'll start a new thread with a more appropriate title and a broader audience then just local. Sorry for being a newb.

i'm not sure, but it looks like VFD in that first box, if so, than its usefull, and worth some money.

From looks, IMHO, you would need new electronics, tring to get that old hardware to work with todays software might be slightly tuff. and even if you have the original softwarel, 1. Probably wont work for plasma, 2. Learning curve might be measuared light years

So when you say old hardware and electronics you mean the servos and simply servo amps? Thats a bummer. Anybody else have any thoughts?

Well,i'm not that familiar with servos, thats why i said that it was just my opinion

It looks like there is a three axis servo indexer that accepts step & direction inputs and three matching servo amps with motors. And the first two boxes look like a power supply and frequency drive for the spindle. I think you could make them work, if you can get specs for them. Also rack & pinion, ball (or lead) screws, linear guides, etc....

Better get them out of the weather. Pull everything off and inventory. Sell what you dont need on eBay. Looks like it may be a good start to me.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Sorry, I fogot to mention that if you mouse over the pic the caption pops up and you can also view them in orginal size(2500x2000). The first two pictures are for a different machine all together. I don't know what controls the spindle speed unless its one of the 7 simply servo amps. There are 5 total geared servo drives.

you might be able to use that stuff,i see some linear guides and some racks
    how many servo drives are there?what did the machine do?welding of some sort?or cutting?it doesnt look that old,but it depends on the servo drives,some require there own software and might be hard to find it if its lost from memory

looks like you have 5 or 6 servo drives and two spindle drives,have they been in the weather and gotten wet?hope not

5 Simple Servo Drives: 540-20-540 (720watts)
    7 Simple Servo Digital Servo AmpsSS-508a and SS-504A
    2 Simple servo drive 524-20-316 attached to a CFI inc adapter box and Lintech lead screw.
    2 AC Tech SCF series power supplies.

Parts Any good? Its so humid here that everything rusts. But the parts stay covered up

Dont cover the stuff with plastic, it will sweat and drip water onto anything underneath.

budP