585,752 active members*
3,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport VMC800/22 Excessive air from spindle

Bridgeport VMC800/22 Excessive air from spindle

I have just acquired a VMC800, on the rear there is the air/filter regulator which is set at 100psi, then the secondary regulator that is set at 15psi, this goes to the spindle and provides the air curtain as you would expect.

However the pipe that led from the first regulator to the top of the spindle was folded in half and cable tied and there was no air blast on tool change. After unblocking the tube the air blast works as it should but when not tool changing exhaust a continuous flow of air from the spindle.

I have disconnected the pipe from the valve and air just vents continuously out of the fitting on the valve.

Could the valve be leaking a lot of air but still do the air blast?

This is the valve... it is rated 110V AC

Attachment 407068

The other valve round the back is this one, it is not used at the moment as it powers a hydraulic multiplier that can be used for rotary tables or vices.

Attachment 407070

I swapped the valve bodies over as they seem the same except for the rated voltage but still had the same issue. Am I right in thinking that they are interchangable except for the solenoid?e they swappable?

Re: Bridgeport VMC800/22 Excessive air from spindle

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgates1000 View Post
    I have just acquired a VMC800, on the rear there is the air/filter regulator which is set at 100psi, then the secondary regulator that is set at 15psi, this goes to the spindle and provides the air curtain as you would expect.

However the pipe that led from the first regulator to the top of the spindle was folded in half and cable tied and there was no air blast on tool change. After unblocking the tube the air blast works as it should but when not tool changing exhaust a continuous flow of air from the spindle.

I have disconnected the pipe from the valve and air just vents continuously out of the fitting on the valve.

Could the valve be leaking a lot of air but still do the air blast?

This is the valve... it is rated 110V AC

Attachment 407068

The other valve round the back is this one, it is not used at the moment as it powers a hydraulic multiplier that can be used for rotary tables or vices.

Attachment 407070

I swapped the valve bodies over as they seem the same except for the rated voltage but still had the same issue. Am I right in thinking that they are interchangable except for the solenoid?e they swappable?
    Does it go off if you remove the power plug on the side of the solenoid if not the valve has a problem, if it does then there is something set wrong in the Parameters
    Mactec54

Thanks, I removed the plug as it still has the same problem, so it was the valve as expected. Can this valve be replaced with the other type as I can get one of these much quicker?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgates1000 View Post
    Thanks, I removed the plug as it still has the same problem, so it was the valve as expected. Can this valve be replaced with the other type as I can get one of these much quicker?
    It could be any type of air valve, as long as it functions the same and suits your coil voltage
    Mactec54