584,830 active members*
5,782 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is KFLOP right for my application

We're using a laser vibrometer to perform vibration scans on various objects.
    The system consists of an Aerotech U500 motion controller (PCI), and a pair of Aerotec 1000DC servo motors, one of which is controlling a linear axis and the other a rotation axis.
    The motors have continuous torque rating of 135 OZ-IN.
    The laser head is mounted on the linear axis.

We are looking to replace the ageing Aerotech motion controller and on a separate thread someone recommended KFLOP.

After reading up on it it looks promising. However, since I'm not experienced with retrofitting CNC systems I'm worried I might be missing something so would appreciate some advice:
    1) I'd be grateful if anyone can point out obvious issues using our existing motors
    2) Assuming we opt for the KFLOP+KSTEP, how do we connect Aerotech motor cables/connectors to the KSTEP? Is it possible to buy adaptors, or should we cut off the connector and fit something appropriate.

BTW, we don't have any concerns on the software side (C programming).

Thank-you in advance!

Re: Is KFLOP right for my application

Hi gperkins,

It seems you have DC Brushed Servo Motors not Stepper motors. I'm guessing you have Aerotech 1135

I would expect you have some kind of encoder feedback also. Do you have specifications on those?

Our KStep only works with Stepper Motors so would not be appropriate.

It seems those motors are rated at 80V @ 5.5A continuous. Our SnapAmp could drive those.

You might be able to use your existing drives which might involve less wiring changes. You would need to research what they are and how they interface. I did a Google search and found this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jouLeOlYkZXBPy

HTH
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Hi TomKerekes,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm an idiot, I totally meant that we were considering SnapAmp for this application (was reading up on KSTEP for a personal 3D printer project) Very good to know that SnapAmp can drive these motors. Interesting to hear that it might be more straight forward (in terms of wiring) to use our existing drives. They are on a pretty big huge board which has a lot of other legacy functions. I'll have a think about this. I guess there are some advantages to using the Snap amp with KFlop over some existing drives, in terms of mechanical interfacing and system calibration?

I'm going to read up a little on the encoder feedback. The U500 doc you found on google was correct.

Thanks again for the insight,
    George

Hi TomKerekes,

Thanks for your previous reply. On encoders, I've noticed that KFLOP only supports encoders with digital outputs. I can't find a part number for the encoders on out motors but it looks to me like like they are analog type. From our existing U500 controller manual:

Also the motor product info sheet lists optional encoders "with line driver or amplified sine-wave output". i think that these are the type we have fitted.

It seems to me that this means KFLOP is not suited to our application, at least with our existing DC Servos+encoders. Does that sound right, or am I misinterpreting the encoder spec? And Is there a workaround for these situations?

Thank-you!

Hi George,

Also the motor product info sheet lists optional encoders "with line driver or amplified sine-wave output". i think that these are the type we have fitted.
    Well the Line Driver would be the Digital Encoder type compatible with SnapAmp or Kanalog. E1000LD or E200LD. But amplified sine wave (E1000AS) would not without a converter.
    TK

Great, thanks TomKerekes.
    I took the cover off our encoder and found a TTL line driver IC,

Also after some more searching through the our U500 controller manual, found: Encoder feedback channels are RS-422 differential quadrature signals.
    Looks like the encoders are suitable. I was just confused by the pin-outs on our U500 controller being described as Sine Positive, Cosine positive etc (see below), assuming them to be analog.

Thanks for your help.

Hi George,

Good work. Definitely looks to be a digital differential encoder.
    TK

Excellent. I think I'm ready to order KFLOP+SnapAmp +Kanalog (for some AD/DAs).

Silly question - can you confirm if the ADCs and DACs on the Kanalog are DC coupled, i.e. can output and read DC signals?

Finally, do I need to order any particular cables or fixings to connect the three modules?

Hi George,

Silly question - can you confirm if the ADCs and DACs on the Kanalog are DC coupled, i.e. can output and read DC signals?
    Yes they are DC coupled.

Finally, do I need to order any particular cables or fixings to connect the three modules?
    Standoffs and cables for connections between the boards are included.
    TK

Thanks for your help

I've received my KFlop+Snapamp+Kanalog. Many thanks.

Should the motor power supplies for the SnapAmp be regulated or unregulated DC?

Thanks.

Hi George,

Either can be used. If unregulated be sure the unloaded voltage is less than or equal to 80V. I prefer switching regulated supplies as they are usually less expensive and obviously regulated. Because SnapAmp has on-board voltage clamping the big capacitors normally used in unregulated supplies are not required to absorb energy.

HTH
    TK