584,865 active members*
4,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Solidwork cam profile operation

Solidwork cam profile operation

I have a drawing in solidwork and use solidcam to generate the gcode and when I simulate the cut I get uncuted material on each corner showing on the right side pic. How do I cut the slot to look like the one on the left. I get the same result when I use profile,slot and pocket to create the gcode in solidcam. I know there are setting in the profile operation but I'm not sure which one to change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by kn6398 View Post
    I have a drawing in solidwork and use solidcam to generate the gcode and when I simulate the cut I get uncuted material on each corner showing on the right side pic. How do I cut the slot to look like the one on the left. I get the same result when I use profile,slot and pocket to create the gcode in solidcam. I know there are setting in the profile operation but I'm not sure which one to change.
    Make your pocket boundary extend beyond the end of the actual pocket size by an amount that's a bit more than the radius of your cutter. Lets say that you're using a 1/2" cutter; offset the ends of the pocket boundary .260" or so. Or, if you're using single lines to profile the sides of the slot, extend them enough to make the cutter start off the part. The pic on the left shows the two types of boundaries, and the one on the right is the toolpath verified. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails toolpath.JPG   verify.JPG  
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

I was able to to use the single line to profile it look at first pic.
    But it work only because the pocket was small engough for the cutter to over lay the pocket if the pocket was three time as big as the cutter it would leave an island in the middle.

How do I extend the boundry of the pocket at the end? Where do I go to make that change in the pocket operation in solidcam in pic2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails profile.JPG   pocket operation.JPG  

But it work only because the pocket was small engough for the cutter to over lay the pocket if the pocket was three time as big as the cutter it would leave an island in the middle.

How do I extend the boundry of the pocket at the end? Where do I go to make that change in the pocket operation in solidcam in pic2.
    In the single line example: You wouldn't want to cut the slot in just two passes i.e., up one side then down the other. That would'nt give you a very good finish. Subtract your cutter diameter from the slot width, and divide by two. This will tell you approximately how much material is left on each side if you make 1 pass in the exact center of the slot. Put that number in the "material to be removed" field, and set the stepover to an appropriate amount, and put in a finishing pass amount, say, .002" - .010" depending on material. You won't get an island in the middle.

Regarding setting the amount to be removed: The software I use, and others too, you can type in math problems in these fields and the computer will make the computations for you. Here's what I mean: In my single line example, I have a .800" wide slot, and I cut it with a .375" cutter. So, in the "amount to be removed" field, I typed in .800 - .375/2 and hit tab. The software popped in .21250". In the "rough spacing" field I typed in .2025/3 and hit tab, this left .0675" for a roughing stepover. That left me with a .010" clean-up pass. (Or two passes at .005" if you wanted.) Try this on your software. It can keep you from punching numbers into a calculator!

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the CAM in SolidWorks, but here's what I did: I just extracted the edges and ends of the slots, then did an offset of the end lines by an amount of more than the radius of the cutter, around .200" in the case of the 3/8" endmill. Then I trimmed the lines together, and I had a rectangle longer than the slot. This is just an example of creating extra geometry to get the cutter to do what you want.

The above is just one way to approach this. There are lots and perhaps better ways to do things.
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

I'd try the leadin/leadout settings and simulate. Otherwise if you don't have control over your boundry settings, you can always draw a sketch using the profile of the pockets and add the needed moves to cut the pocket.

Scott