584,800 active members*
4,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree 325 - Removing X-Axis Table & Adjusting Gibbs on Install.

Tree 325 - Removing X-Axis Table & Adjusting Gibbs on Install.

Hello,

I have a Journeyman Tree 325 CNC Mill which I converted over to the Dynomotion Klop / Kanalog / KMotionCNC controller to replace the Delta 20CNC controller. (Link to Dynomotion http://dynomotion.com/)

Here is a link to some Pictures of the machine as I purchased it.

I purchased this machine with controller issues. The monitor would not come on and had Z-axis servo controller issues I was told.

It was a project to teach myself how to retrofit this servo CNC with a newer controller, so I can fix and customize it anyway I wanted and the Dynomotion controller is a Professional System-Level Control for CNC Manufacturing which offers the ability to customize your machine to what ever you want. The big plus with this controller system is the support behind all the products sold by Dynomotion.

For someone like me, this was a huge learning curve for this retrofit and it was absolutely essential that I had great support in the controller I purchased to retrofit this machine.
    So, after a year I finally got this machine running on this controller; however, now I need to work on some of the mechanical issues of the machine.

The first thing I needed to address is the oiling system of this machine. It was designed with Showa Oil lubrication system. I had to take this system apart and clean it up as the internal components were very dirty. I also replace the plastic lines going up the Z-axis manifold and cleaned out the line going to the X &Y axis manifold. I also replaced all the metering valves in each manifold with the suggest Tree Schematic manual sizes.

Tree 325 Schematic Manual for Meter Valves can be seen here … Page 11
    LINK: Existing Machine Schematics

So, now I can see the Showa Oil lubrication system is functioning as designed and oil is definitely getting to the Z-axis Quill/Ball-Screw and the X-axis ways/ball-screw as I can see the oil oozing from the way/quill. However, I think that the Y-axis is not getting enough oil to the ways and ball-screw.

So, I would like to take off the X-axis table off to ensure the copper oil lines under it feeding the Y-axis ways and ball-screws are not broken or clogged. From what I can tell, this would be the only way I think I can get at these components to see what is going on.

Sorry for the long intro …………….

Here are my questions:

1.) Does anybody have any information on the procedure to removal the X-axis ball-screw and table?

2.) Can someone offer some tips and tricks to ensure that I do not accidentally damage anything?

3.) Can someone offer any tips and/or tricks to ensure I get my X-axis gibbs back into the correct position and adjusted correctly on the install of the X-axis table?

4.) Any information on this process would be great and it certainly does not to be specific to the Journeyman Tree 325.

Thanks ..........

J325 Quick Links:

Machine
    Existing Machine Schematics
    Electronic Cabinet-Right Side
    Electronic Cabinet-Back SIde
    Existing Drive Board SD1525-10
    J325 Servo Drive-SD1525 Manual
    3-Phase Rotary Convert Used
    RickB's J325 Retrofit Wiring
    KFLOP 5VDC/15Watt/3A Power Supply
    KANALOG Mounted & Connected
    Kmotion - Axis Encoder Manual Test of Position via Manual Movement
    Kanalog-Encoder Voltage High/Low Checks & 1KOhm Resister
    Kmotion Configuration Screens "RUN-AWAY"
    Tree Journeyman 325 Designed Specs.
    Tree Journeyman 325 Axis-Tension Frequency Settings
    Final Axis Tuned Error Parameters
    VFD Wiring to Existing Tree325 Old Controller
    DAC Values to RPM / Voltage Checks

Re: Tree 325 - Removing X-Axis Table & Adjusting Gibbs on Install.

OK .... It would seem that nobody has had remove a X-axis Cross Slide table.

I do have a few more questions though ...........

1.) Does anybody have any current sources of where I might be able to purchase new brushes for the Baldor DC Servo Motor #CC22529?

2.) Can someone tell me what the length of a new carbon brush may be for this machine/servo motor?

My existing brushes are measuring about 0.412"

3.) Can someone point me to a source where I can purchase replacement brush caps?

While removing one of them I ended breaking it to pieces since it was so brittle. If I cannot find a source for these replacement caps, my next step will get getting them 3D printed.

Here is a picture of an existing brush I removed.

Attachment 407358

Here are some more pictures of the brushes and cap and there measurements .... LINK

Thanks .........

J325 Quick Links:

Machine
    Baldor DC Servo Motor Brushes and Cap

Best info I can give is get an owners manual, you can find them online. I believe it shows adjusting ballscrews. And the schematics should make it easy enough to figure out how to remove. According to the manual the guns are not meant to be user serviced. And should be adjusted by tree. I have a note from tree on some of the paperwork that came with my machine, I think it said put indicator on saddle ways and adjust till .0005 play, then a note that said 10" travel. Not sure what they meant about the travel. Best way to remove a mill table is put a table next to it, adjust height till there the same and slide it onto the table. As far as the brushes, the owners manual gives info, I think it says to replace when worn down to 1/2" but I might be wrong. You can call Baldor, I bet zps or parts and smarts has the brushes since they both sell the motors.
    Do you still have any of your old parts I'm sometimes looking for parts for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_stlouis View Post
    Best info I can give is get an owners manual, you can find them online. I believe it shows adjusting ballscrews. And the schematics should make it easy enough to figure out how to remove. According to the manual the guns are not meant to be user serviced.
    Thanks for the reply sam_stlouis, Can I ask what you mean by the "guns" are not meant to be serviced? I am not sure what these "guns" are.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_stlouis View Post
    And should be adjusted by tree. I have a note from tree on some of the paperwork that came with my machine, I think it said put indicator on saddle ways and adjust till .0005 play, then a note that said 10" travel. Not sure what they meant about the travel. Best way to remove a mill table is put a table next to it, adjust height till there the same and slide it onto the table. As far as the brushes, the owners manual gives info, I think it says to replace when worn down to 1/2" but I might be wrong. You can call Baldor, I bet zps or parts and smarts has the brushes since they both sell the motors.
    Do you still have any of your old parts I'm sometimes looking for parts for mine.
    The only parts I actually removed was the front user interface panel and monitor. I through the monitor out as I figure it was bad since that was one of the issue when I got the machine ... it would not display anything. As far as the controller goes, all I am using on it is the 24V power supply. If you think the controller boards are of use to you I believe I can pulled them out without affecting my retrofit and send them your way...PM me. If you happen to run across the manual on line, can you please PM me the link?

Peter;

You have lots of questions, LOL. No worries, let me take a swing at them. My machine was a 320 not the 325 but maybe close.

1.) Does anybody have any information on the procedure to removal the X-axis ball-screw and table?
    The 325 table appears different than the 320 but on mine I removed the servo motor, all sprockets and table end caps. After the end caps are off the table should be able to side back and forth by hand. The X axis screw and ball nut will still be supported by the cradle. Remove the gib screws and remove the gibs, Now the table should be real sloppy. This is the most important part. Gear up a way to push the table off onto a waiting table. BE CAREFUL.

2.) Can someone offer some tips and tricks to ensure that I do not accidentally damage anything?
    Not really, just take your time.

3.) Can someone offer any tips and/or tricks to ensure I get my X-axis gibbs back into the correct position and adjusted correctly on the install of the X-axis table?
    I generally hand tighten and test, then retest after few hours of operation.

4.) Any information on this process would be great and it certainly does not to be specific to the Journeyman Tree 325.

1.) Does anybody have any current sources of where I might be able to purchase new brushes for the Baldor DC Servo Motor #CC22529?
    I you lived closer I'd give you the entire motor. I believe all those parts are still available.

2.) Can someone tell me what the length of a new carbon brush may be for this machine/servo motor?

3.) Can someone point me to a source where I can purchase replacement brush caps?

If you are doubting your oiling system here are a couple of things that I found on my machine as I cleaned it up. The Showa oiling metering valves that are on your machine are probably plugged. Almost all mine were. I found an eBay source for them at around $6.00 each (not an equivalent, the exact same device. The oil lines themselves were good, but all machined oiling passages in the machine were plugged. My entire machine had to be dismantled for cleaning.

Good Luck
    Jim

Guns, haha gibs stupid autocorrect. It says I can't send pm's I need to turn it on, can't seem to find how to on my phone. I will try at home. I have pdf, of manual I can send you. If you want to send me an email I can send it to you. I also have most manuals and wiring diagrams of you need anything in particular I can copy and send you the pages you need. I can definitely use any dynapath cards. The only other thing I'm looking for is the crt screen out of the control panel, mine is dying but still working. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I will send you the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTheWolf View Post

Attachment 407358

Here are some more pictures of the brushes and cap and there measurements .... LINK

Here ... I will answer my own question .... New brushes from ZPS-USA (Part #CC35168) at a cost of $36.00/set (two brushes) are 0.490"-0.500" long.

Knowing what I know now ... you will be able to find these brushes at a much better price......like form:

482 Carbon Brush 0.25" x 0.375" x 0.5" at $6.94/each.

Also, as far as brush caps go for the CC22529 DC Servo motor .... print your own with a 3D printer out of ABS plastic... you will get a much better fit and seal on the rubber gasket.

Scroll down to the bottom of this HTML page and you find more information.

By the way ... I got the X-axis table off and the Turcite looks good; however it all needs a good cleaning.

Any advice on getting the Y-axis saddle off would be great.

Attachment 408344

J325 Quick Links:

Machine

I have Delta 20 parts. I would need to look through what I have but I think I have the entire Delta 20 control from when my machine was upgraded to a Delta 40 control. [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by dstjohn99 View Post
    I have Delta 20 parts. I would need to look through what I have but I think I have the entire Delta 20 control from when my machine was upgraded to a Delta 40 control. [email protected]
    Thanks dstjohn99,

However, I have no desire of ever going back to the obsolete Delta 20 controller after retrofitting my machine to the DynoMotion Controller. This DynoMotion controller will allow you to customize your machine and devices to anything you want to do ... all for less than $750.00.

For those that want to replace the obsolete Delta 20/40 controller and not worry about looking for obsolete parts for these controllers... here is a Great schematic for retrofitting your Tree to the DynoMotion controller.

Rick B. did a great job in making this schematic and retrofitting his Tree 325.
    Tree 325/425 PDF Schematic retrofitted to the DynoMotion Controller.

Here is picture of one of the gibs removed from the Y-axis Saddle (DoveTail sides). As you can see there seems to be wear on about 50% of it.

Would it be advised to scrap this gib back in to ensure full (or almost full) contact and flaking for oil before re-installing it?

Attachment 410624 .... Here is High Res Picture Link

PeterTheWolf you need to video this retrofitted J325 making some chips and a preview of how the new controller works and post it on YouTube so us J325 owners can preview how it works before we jump into a retrofit, can you please do that and post the YouTube link on here? I'm very interested in seeing how well it's working

I would be interested in hearing about putting the gibs back in and adjusting them. Did you measure backlash before and after? How much do the gibs affect backlash? Did you re-ball both axes?