585,767 active members*
4,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Freezing on Line Bore

First off let me say that I’m new to the field and have only been doing this for about 8 months. The problem I’m having is on my machine at work. For whatever reason when I try to run a program my machine will just stop and not move unless it decides to start going again or I restart the program. I’ve started a program and walked away to get more material or something and come back and it’ll still be on the 3rd line. I have asked multiple people at my work how I can fix the issue and they just brush it off. They don’t fix anything here unless it’s completely shut down. Is this something on my control or just something I have to deal with? Also if anyone knows a shop looking to hire and train someone on the south side of Atlanta I’m looking. I’ve asked to be taught how to build cabinets, run our edge bander and program (current guy just copies and pastes from old jobs) and they won’t do it. I got back into this trade wanting something I could make a good career out of but all I’ll get here is a measly paycheck.

Machines a Komo 408 and the software we are running is FANUC basic operations package. If anymore information is needed I’ll try to respond in a timely manner with it.

Re: Freezing on Line Bore

This sounds potentially dangerous:

"For whatever reason when I try to run a program my machine will just stop and not move unless it decides to start going again or I restart the program"

Has the program you are trying to run been run successfully before?

When you run it and it stops, does it stop at the same place or is it different each time?

Does the machine function properly using manual control (Jogging from the control panel, Pendant or MDI)? If not then some troubleshooting might be in order before trying to run programs.

I can't offer any advice beyond what he1957 said above. But given the working conditions, you are doing the right thing looking to get out of there. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Has the program you are trying to run been run successfully before?

When you run it and it stops, does it stop at the same place or is it different each time?

Does the machine function properly using manual control (Jogging from the control panel, Pendant or MDI)? If not then some troubleshooting might be in order before trying to run programs.[/QUOTE]

Jogging and MDI both work fine. And it’s not always the same spot, sometimes it is sometimes it’ll pass that line and freeze on the next. Then I’ll restart it and it’ll freeze on the very first one. I’ve had it before if I have it running and it freezes I’ll walk away and it’ll eventually get past that point and continue the program or stop on another line bore code. It seems to hesitate I guess. And it’s so random that it’s hard to pinpoint what it can be. I can go a week and not have the issue and the next week it’ll happen with every piece I run. And I’m pretty sure I’m the first to run the programs when they’re put out. A lot of the work we do is for the same people so must cabinets are just put into a new program and handed to me.

What is the average starting wage of a operator? I’m pretty sure I’m not being paid the standard which I was fine with at first because it was more than I was making at my last job but I don’t think I could make this place long term. The guy I replaced left due to them not wanting to pay. And don’t even get me started on the “benefits”.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I can't offer any advice beyond what he1957 said above. But given the working conditions, you are doing the right thing looking to get out of there. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Don’t mean to double post but I’m on my phone and couldn’t add you to my last reply. And easy indicator to tell you how they are here is whenever it rains the ceiling leaks above my work area. Not over the machine but where I walk and I’ve pointed it out to the manager who just shrugs his shoulders. Then I was told it’s been leaking like that for 4 years so yeah. Not much hope for this place.

As an observation, run the code you get on a simulator several times at different speeds. Then compare to the machine behavior. With a machine behaving like that I'd stay well away from it until you fully understand why it's doing that then get it fixed one way or another - that behavior as Jim says is an accident waiting to happen.

Not meaning to get involved with anyone's workplace but leaking roofs when raining around electrical equipment is an electrocution waiting to happen.

Report this place to you local Occupational Health and Safety authorities before someone gets killed. Prevention is way better than not having a cure because it's too late.