584,879 active members*
5,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Viper Servo drives > Will step2linear work for my machine?!

Hybrid View

Will step2linear work for my machine?!

Hello, I recently bought an old Masterwood project 309 woodworking machine. It is a very old machine from 1993, so there are a lot of disadvantages on the software side(msdos). But the hardware on the machine is in good and working condition.
    I am currently looking to retrofit mach3 on the machine to make it ''more modern''. I am currently in the planning stage of the retrofit to look if it is possible and what is needed. The main focus now is to find a solution for the X,Y and Z axis to use most of the old hardware, if possible.

The machine is currently using 3 DC brushed servos with encoders for the feedback and 3 amplifiers which take +-10V. So after searching on forums to use the original amplifiers I found the step2linear board from viper. Which seems like a good working board and is still available? unlike the YAPS10V. To be honest I am not 100% sure if they work for my components and it would be wasted money if I bought 3 boards just conclude that they wont work. So is there someone that could help me and tell if the step2linear board will work for my machine? I attached a picture from the I/O of the servo amplifier and a pdf of the datasheet from the encoder. The amplifiers are: Midi Maestro 140 14/28 and the encoders: Hohner h33p50.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Jelle

Re: Will step2linear work for my machine?!

Yes, it should work with that amplifier.
    Is there good differential encoders on the machine ?

Larry K
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    Yes, it should work with that amplifier.
    Is there good differential encoders on the machine ?

Larry K
    Dear larken,

Thank you for your reply. Good to hear that the amplifiers will work. Also the encoders that are on the machine are in working order and a high end brand. I still have one question for you.
    The encoder put out ABO and inverse of the three signals. In your manual, for the boards, I saw that the step2linear only needs AB and the inverse of both. What should I do with the O and O inverse? Do I leave them disconnected or something else? The datasheet of the encoders is enclosed in my first post.

Thanks in advance.

Jelle

No, it doesn't use the index pulse to close the loop, but you may be able to opto-couple it back to the motion controller to use in the homing.
    But the encoder wires and ground should only go to the S2L to prevent ground noise issues.

Larry K
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    No, it doesn't use the index pulse to close the loop, but you may be able to opto-couple it back to the motion controller to use in the homing.
    But the encoder wires and ground should only go to the S2L to prevent ground noise issues.

Larry K
    Larry,

Thank you for your response.This helped me a lot.

Regards,
    Jelle