584,858 active members*
4,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Non-CNCRP VFD on Plug & Play

I have a CNCRP NEMA 34 control system on my 48x48 router and I love it. But has anyone successfully used either a Hitachi or other VFD on the controller? I have the cable from them and everything is setup and works, But I can not get the 0-10 vdc output to drive it to 400Hz out of Mach3.

The voltage off the BoB is only 0-7 vdc when connected, 0-10 vdc when not connected therefore I can not get the full speed from my spindle motor.

I know I can scale the input in the Hitachi setup parameters to make it work but just wondering?
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

ericks Guest

Re: Non-CNCRP VFD on Plug & Play

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I have a CNCRP NEMA 34 control system on my 48x48 router and I love it. But has anyone successfully used either a Hitachi or other VFD on the controller? I have the cable from them and everything is setup and works, But I can not get the 0-10 vdc output to drive it to 400Hz out of Mach3.

The voltage off the BoB is only 0-7 vdc when connected, 0-10 vdc when not connected therefore I can not get the full speed from my spindle motor.

I know I can scale the input in the Hitachi setup parameters to make it work but just wondering?
    If you give the drive details then i can check if you are able to scale the analog input

ericks Guest

Also something does not sound right with the fact that you get 0-10v without the signal connected then 0-7v with the signal connected to the drive. Reason i am saying this is cause the drive has a high impedance on it's analog input....so it should not affect the signal from your bob. Are you sure there is not maybe a jumper or dip switch that you should change for the 0-10v signal??

Are you using Mach 3 or UCCNC? If so do a search for the haunyang plugin. The HY import VFD and spindles are pretty good value if you want to keep costs down. It allows you to control the spindle speed, start stop etc via gcode and many folks use it. I have had no issues with it on a 2.2kw air cooled spindle. All you need is a cheap RS485 to usb adapter from ebay or amazon ($5 or so) and a simple 2 wire connection between the computer USB and VFD.

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    Are you using Mach 3 or UCCNC? If so do a search for the haunyang plugin. The HY import VFD and spindles are pretty good value if you want to keep costs down. It allows you to control the spindle speed, start stop etc via gcode and many folks use it. I have had no issues with it on a 2.2kw air cooled spindle. All you need is a cheap RS485 to usb adapter from ebay or amazon ($5 or so) and a simple 2 wire connection between the computer USB and VFD.
    This sound like a better option

I spent $325 for a Hitachi drive why would I want another? The Hitachi has a 10K ohm impedance input whereas the Delta drive CNCRP sells has a 20K ohm. Seems the CRP850-00E breakout board was designed for the Delta drive they sell or this BoB is defective as the VFD works perfectly on a small variable electronic DC power supply all the way to 400 Hz with the 0-10 vdc. Its connected directly to the wires from the controller box back to the VFD and yes its on Mach3 and the on-off works fine from the screen.

Yes I know I can scale the input 0-10 down to the 0-7 vdc, but why should I have too?
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

ericks Guest

I spent $325 for a Hitachi drive why would I want another? The Hitachi has a 10K ohm impedance input whereas the Delta drive CNCRP sells has a 20K ohm. Seems the CRP850-00E breakout board was designed for the Delta drive they sell or this BoB is defective as the VFD works perfectly on a small variable electronic DC power supply all the way to 400 Hz with the 0-10 vdc. Its connected directly to the wires from the controller box back to the VFD and yes its on Mach3 and the on-off works fine from the screen.

Yes I know I can scale the input 0-10 down to the 0-7 vdc, but why should I have too?
    That rs485 option was obviously only if you had a hy drive

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    That rs485 option was obviously only if you had a hy drive
    From Hitachi spec's "Built-in RS485 MODBUS RTU as standard, other FieldBus optional" the issue is the CNCPC BoB board either is defective or will not output an analog 0-10 vdc into a 10K ohm VFD input. The 20K ohm on the Delta is higher and would use in theory 50% less mA.

Sure HY drives are cheaper, less than 1/2 the price but I try not to purchase Chinese or cheap if I can.

Looks like CNCRP has sent me a package.....

ericks Guest

From Hitachi spec's "Built-in RS485 MODBUS RTU as standard, other FieldBus optional" the issue is the CNCPC BoB board either is defective or will not output an analog 0-10 vdc into a 10K ohm VFD input. The 20K ohm on the Delta is higher and would use in theory 50% less mA.
    The fact that your drive has a rs485 doesn't matter. If the plugin is written for the hy then it will only work for the hy...unless the two drives have the same serial control which is unlikely
    It is unlikely that the two drives have a huge difference in impedance on their analog input, anyway not big enough to affect your converter....the 10K and 20K values you mention is just the values of the external pot values for each drive.

ericks Guest

It might also be that you maybe not set something up correctly....

ericks Guest

Without having all the information about your equipment its impossible for me to advise you

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    It might also be that you maybe not set something up correctly....
    #1 Its a CNCRP Plug and Play system already set up and running fine. The BoB they supply outputs both PWM and 0-10 vdc and a Relay output for the VFD.

#2 It starts and runs the Spindle just fine, only does not come up to full speed.

#3 The Spindle works just fine 0 - 400 Hz on a external 0-10 vdc signal.

#4 The relay out to the VFD outputs fine to turn the spindle on-off.

#5 The BoB only outputs 0-7 vdc when connected to the proper terminals on the VFD, the exact same terminals I can input the 0-10 vdc external signal on and it works.

#6 I am not using plug in for the HY drive and never said I was?

#7 The Input Impedance of VFD input is referring to the resistance it presented to a voltage source.

#8 The Input Impedance of the Hitachi is 10K ohms, the Delta is 20K ohms the HY is not specified.

#9 Lower Impedance or resistance would mean a higher current draw, perhaps 20 mA vs 10 mA which still should not be an issue for a signal.

#10 Quick link to the drive. https://www.driveswarehouse.com/wj200-022sf

ericks Guest

#1 Its a CNCRP Plug and Play system already set up and running fine. The BoB they supply outputs both PWM and 0-10 vdc and a Relay output for the VFD.

#2 It starts and runs the Spindle just fine, only does not come up to full speed.

#3 The Spindle works just fine 0 - 400 Hz on a external 0-10 vdc signal.

#4 The relay out to the VFD outputs fine to turn the spindle on-off.

#5 The BoB only outputs 0-7 vdc when connected to the proper terminals on the VFD, the exact same terminals I can input the 0-10 vdc external signal on and it works.

#6 I am not using plug in for the HY drive and never said I was?

#7 The Input Impedance of VFD input is referring to the resistance it presented to a voltage source.

#8 The Input Impedance of the Hitachi is 10K ohms, the Delta is 20K ohms the HY is not specified.

#9 Lower Impedance or resistance would mean a higher current draw, perhaps 20 mA vs 10 mA which still should not be an issue for a signal.

#10 Quick link to the drive. https://www.driveswarehouse.com/wj200-022sf
    We obviously having difficulty understanding each other....best someone else assist you
    Good luck!

Call CNCRP and ask them what would cause this. It's their breakout board/speed control.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Is there a pot on the CNCRP Breakout Board that you can adjust to get 10v output, check to see also what the supply voltage is for the PWM this is where the problem is
    Mactec54

I have a Hitachi WJ200 VFD on a Pro 4824 that works great. Here is a link to my build log with the settings. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-router-parts/319628-pro-4824-build-amp-upgrade-4.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hitachi Connections.jpg  

No adjustments on the board, Gigawatt my settings are the same as yours. 12 vdc in to the BoB. I ordered a new board. Thanks guys.

Its important to note, the VFD runs 0-400 Hz with my old Heathkit power supply set at 0- 10 vdc. The on off signal supplies the Run command from the computer.

No adjustments on the board, Gigawatt my settings are the same as yours. 12 vdc in to the BoB. I ordered a new board. Thanks guys.

Its important to note, the VFD runs 0-400 Hz with my old Heathkit power supply set at 0- 10 vdc. The on off signal supplies the Run command from the computer.
    Do you know what board are they using, or even a photo of it, some of us would know if that board has had problems or not

Yes I got that in your posting that you can run it but not from the Breakout Board PWM, something you posted 0-400Hz if you have the VFD set correct then you should not be able to run you spindle motor below 6,000 RPM no of these spindles are 0-400Hz 100-400Hz is correct
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Do you know what board are they using, or even a photo of it, some of us would know if that board has had problems or not

Yes I got that in your posting that you can run it but not from the Breakout Board PWM, something you posted 0-400Hz if you have the VFD set correct then you should not be able to run you spindle motor below 6,000 RPM no of these spindles are 0-400Hz 100-400Hz is correct
    It starts at Zero and runs up to the minimum set in Mach3, in fact it needs to be set at the minimum before it turns on the drive Run command. All motors start at Zero Rpm and its important that 400 Hz motors not run below 100 Hz or 6,000 Rpm and even that for very long 2 or 3 minutes. I think Mach3 defaults to 133 Hz as minimum.

The board is a special made for and sold by CNCRP and it outputs both PWM and 0-10 vdc, not on the same terminals however.

It starts at Zero and runs up to the minimum set in Mach3, in fact it needs to be set at the minimum before it turns on the drive Run command. All motors start at Zero Rpm and its important that 400 Hz motors not run below 100 Hz or 6,000 Rpm and even that for very long 2 or 3 minutes. I think Mach3 defaults to 133 Hz as minimum.

The board is a special made for and sold by CNCRP and it outputs both PWM and 0-10 vdc, not on the same terminals however.
    Just wondered about the Breakout Board as others have had problems with the PWM output before with spindle connection

Mach3 does not have much to do with the spindle speeds only parameters set in the VFD determine the spindle speeds

Mach3 only relationship to the spindle speed is from the PWM or Step / Dir output to the Breakout Board

0-10v would be if you used Step / Dir to control the speed, which you can do in Mach3 so they have it so you could use either PMW or Step / Dir

As for the speed at 6,000 they can run an cut all day long at this speed ( Not air Cooled only water cooled ) 120Hz I recommend as the minimum for cutting though as the torque gets to low below this and they are easy to stall, ( again this is for water cooled, ) The Minimum for most air cooled is 150Hz to 200Hz and should be set this way in the VFD Drive Parameters, If your spindle does not have an independent fan then the VFD Parameters Minimum Speed should be set correctly to avoid any over heating
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12