585,582 active members*
4,790 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam lathe tool producing path flats on curves

Mastercam lathe tool producing path flats on curves

I am machine some parts with a number of curves I get small flats not a smooth curve i can see these flats in the Mastercam X4 editor when doing a pre run in mastercam so the program is generating them how do i reduce the size of the flats ?
    I have been into configuration but have not found any thing that makes a difference
    Regards Ray

Re: Mastercam lathe tool producing path flats on curves

toolpath geometry may be a spline
    ... see if you can turn it into an arc... use "Trim.. break into many pieces... set to fit arc and set tolerance (deviation from original)"

Hi
    Thanks I am using spline and not sure if I can use arc I will give it a try tomorrow
    What I would like it to be able to control the amount of flats it generates to make the spline I know this will make a lot more G Code but that ok there s only 1 spline but I need it to be smooth

Quote Originally Posted by gtrxu1 View Post
    Hi
    Thanks I am using spline and not sure if I can use arc I will give it a try tomorrow
    What I would like it to be able to control the amount of flats it generates to make the spline I know this will make a lot more G Code but that ok there s only 1 spline but I need it to be smooth
    there should be a tolerance setting in each toolpath op.
    .... lower number = smaller deviation from the spline (smaller flats)
    nc code will still be point-to-point (no arcs except for cutter comp around the line segments )

make the Tolerance .001 (not .0001 it wont be needed with this method)
    Turn on Arc Filtering
    Push the slider to the right and make the arc to line %$ 30 - 5 %.
    Make sure arcs are on in the G17 plane.

What will happen is you change all those line to line points with arcs and you will probably not see any transitions.

That will give you short code with G3 and G2 - the machine will not hesitate if its old.

Quote Originally Posted by avongil View Post
    make the Tolerance .001 (not .0001 it wont be needed with this method)
    Turn on Arc Filtering
    Push the slider to the right and make the arc to line %$ 30 - 5 %.
    Make sure arcs are on in the G17 plane.

What will happen is you change all those line to line points with arcs and you will probably not see any transitions.

That will give you short code with G3 and G2 - the machine will not hesitate if its old.
    er... it's a lathe... G17 is X/Y plane

Rookie mistake, I had mill on the brain. Next post will have a lathe sample pic.

In Lathe, click on filter on the second tab then create arcs button. Don't make the tolerance to tight unless you really need it. Experiment, but for most cases .001 works awesome.

Attachment 408752
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-12-29 19_43_31-C__Users_Alvaro_Google Drive_Business_project_WBMoore_2180802-1M_Luer_218080.png