584,833 active members*
5,614 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > OpenBuilds Workbee VS Raw CNC 1.5 VS something else?

OpenBuilds Workbee VS Raw CNC 1.5 VS something else?

I am looking to adapt a CNC router into a fabric cutter. I need a wider table (150 cm) than most but will have very little cutting resistance.

All things regarding I am planing to adapt an existing DIY-kit to fit my needs. I would like to source the materials within the European Union.

What are your thoughts on Raw CNC 1.5 VS the OpenBuilds WorkBee by Ooznest? To me they look pretty similar but I guess there are a few advantages and weaknesses with each build? Is there any other system in this price range I should consider? (Keep my wide table in mind). I have considered the ShapeOko as well but get the impression that it is less sturdy than the two above?

Rawcnc DIY Engineering
    https://ooznest.co.uk/product-catego.../cnc-machines/

Re: OpenBuilds Workbee VS Raw CNC 1.5 VS something else?

why wouldnt you use the acro or something like that? instead of a rotary cutter id use a laser diode.

I’m not a fan of the Open Builds machines under any operating conditions so I’d cross that off my list right now.

As for the Raw CNC machine I’ve not heard of that machine before. It certainly looks like a step above the Open Builds machine. The rollers running on steelbars in my mind is a big improvement over the Open Builds machine. I also like that the web site is more honest about the machines capabilities.

My biggest problem though is understanding how you expect to use a router head to cut fabrics? I’m assuming you have a cutter head of some sort in mind to mount on the machine. That head would dictate suitability of the machines design. In other words Niether machine may be suitable based on the cutter head you choose. I know there are commercial fabric cutting heads out there but frankly have little info.

Somebody mentioned above lasers as a cutting solution. This can be a good idea if you can find a laser diode in the right wave length and power range for the material you are cutting. I say material because these days fabric can mean many things. Assuming you find the right Laser diode solution it should keep your head compact. If you need more power fiber lasers may be just what you need as there has been very rapid advancement here. Lasers may not be suitable for every fabric though, especially fabrics that might bond together if processed in layers.

In any event more information here might help people understand your intended process.

You'll be better off avoiding machines that have the plastic V wheels. I owned a machine that had those wheels. Had one come apart during a job.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    I’m not a fan of the Open Builds machines under any operating conditions so I’d cross that off my list right now.

As for the Raw CNC machine I’ve not heard of that machine before. It certainly looks like a step above the Open Builds machine. The rollers running on steelbars in my mind is a big improvement over the Open Builds machine. I also like that the web site is more honest about the machines capabilities.

My biggest problem though is understanding how you expect to use a router head to cut fabrics? I’m assuming you have a cutter head of some sort in mind to mount on the machine. That head would dictate suitability of the machines design. In other words Niether machine may be suitable based on the cutter head you choose. I know there are commercial fabric cutting heads out there but frankly have little info.

Somebody mentioned above lasers as a cutting solution. This can be a good idea if you can find a laser diode in the right wave length and power range for the material you are cutting. I say material because these days fabric can mean many things. Assuming you find the right Laser diode solution it should keep your head compact. If you need more power fiber lasers may be just what you need as there has been very rapid advancement here. Lasers may not be suitable for every fabric though, especially fabrics that might bond together if processed in layers.

In any event more information here might help people understand your intended process.

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    You'll be better off avoiding machines that have the plastic V wheels. I owned a machine that had those wheels. Had one come apart during a job.
    Yes I have to agree that the low end plastic solutions are pretty pathetic in that regard. The RAW CNC takes a different approach with what looks like steel roller in their videos running on steel rails. In fact the linear rails look rather interesting leading me to wonder whom they are sourcing the extrusions from.

One a side note I've seen ""plastic "" rollers hold up rather well on linear positioning systems in commercial installations. On the other hand these are clean room applications where dust is unacceptable and the load hardly noticeable.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

In the time since my original post I have done some more research and currently the RawCNC seems to be the most sensible choice for my needs. I am worried that the ShapeOko or OpenBuilds would not be precise enough at the table size required.

As for the cutting head, a laser would not be suitable for my needs. I will be cutting technical fabrics and many of these have laminates and coatings. I don't want to spend time around toxic fumes. So the machine would be equipped with a tangential oscillating knife. This will cut almost any fabric like a hot knife in butter.

So what I am looking for is an sturdy hobby machine, a step up from the ShapeOko or OpenBuilds but a few steps down from the "production machines". It needs to be be accurate down to 0,5 mm or so, with a 1500 mm wide table and high movement speeds. Please note that the load on the head will be minimal. The RAW should be able to do this, but might need some reinforcements. If you have suggestions for similar machines in the same price range I would be very grateful!

Your right to be a little worried about the OpenBuilds or Shapeoko machines. I don't know that much about OpenBuilds, but I owned a Shapeoko and the issue was rigidity. If you manage your depth of cut, they can be ok. But the time it takes to do a project could greatly increase.

The RawCNC does look intriguing. I got on their website and it appears that all the machines are out of stock. My guess is the machine probably uses a concentric bushing of some kind to pull the v wheels tight against the rail. Once that's adjusted, it should be fine unless the rail wears.

Check out this machine which also uses steel v wheels. I've thought that I might one day by this particular machine...

Platform CNC - Designed by Brian Oltrogge

Quote Originally Posted by chugchug View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

In the time since my original post I have done some more research and currently the RawCNC seems to be the most sensible choice for my needs. I am worried that the ShapeOko or OpenBuilds would not be precise enough at the table size required.

As for the cutting head, a laser would not be suitable for my needs. I will be cutting technical fabrics and many of these have laminates and coatings. I don't want to spend time around toxic fumes. So the machine would be equipped with a tangential oscillating knife. This will cut almost any fabric like a hot knife in butter.

So what I am looking for is an sturdy hobby machine, a step up from the ShapeOko or OpenBuilds but a few steps down from the "production machines". It needs to be be accurate down to 0,5 mm or so, with a 1500 mm wide table and high movement speeds. Please note that the load on the head will be minimal. The RAW should be able to do this, but might need some reinforcements. If you have suggestions for similar machines in the same price range I would be very grateful!

Your only other option is to go with a DIY build. This would allow you to put more money into rigidity, though I really don't know how rigid an oscillating knife head would have to be. Obviously it needs to be rigid enough to put the knifes energy into the material. That is a frame that oscillates due to the knife head would not be a good thing. But this oscillation issue could easily exist on a machine you buy also. Frankly if you are anywhere near the RAW facilities the thing to do is to ask for access to a machine to test suitability. Once the oscillating head is bolted on you shuold be able to make some decent tests in less than half a day.

For a business solution a DIY build isn't always a good idea. Time frames can easily get stretched with a one off build.

The half way approach is to buy a suitable Chinese machine expecting to have to upgrade and tune the machine a bit. This isn't as bad as it may sound but will still be more expensive than a hobby class machine.