584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > Calibration / Measurement > Poor mans Haimer. 3D probe from a coaxial indicator

Poor mans Haimer. 3D probe from a coaxial indicator

Hello all, about a year ago I Had an impromptu attempt at converting a cheep coaxial Ebay probe into a Haimer style probe. The result was outstanding, quite easy to build, light probe force and repeatable.
    Attachment 407680

I have a poorly put together blog on the build which shows enough for someone to have a go themselves at Swarfman64 project log: DIY 3D PROBE

If there was interest I could dismantle the probe and do a more detailed build, I have avoided a dismantle because this one is set up spot on and I think I should leave it alone.Attachment 407682

If you like the idea please share, a 3d probe is now within everybody's reach for the price of a tank of fuel.
    Thanks all

Re: Poor mans Haimer. 3D probe from a coaxial indicator

Great idea! I just bought a cheap one to give it a try.

I'd love to get more detail.
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

I would like more detail also . Thanks

Rooboy;
    Instead of taking your unit apart, would it be possible for you to hand sketch the parts in an exploded view illustrating how the parts are stacking into the unit. I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the placement of the ball into the cone! I'm sure I'm overthinking the design but a simple diagram would be greatly appreciated.
    Love the design and especially, the cost!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

So sorry for the delay, I havent been back to check this post in a while and had no notification. Ill spend some time and draw up something and add it to the blog, it may take a little time tho. I hope you have success with it

I just updated the blog, If you need I can send you a cad file. Its not 100% true but you will get the idea of how it all goes together.

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
    Hello all, about a year ago I Had an impromptu attempt at converting a cheep coaxial Ebay probe into a Haimer style probe. The result was outstanding, quite easy to build, light probe force and repeatable.
    Attachment 407680

I have a poorly put together blog on the build which shows enough for someone to have a go themselves at Swarfman64 project log: DIY 3D PROBE

If there was interest I could dismantle the probe and do a more detailed build, I have avoided a dismantle because this one is set up spot on and I think I should leave it alone.Attachment 407682

If you like the idea please share, a 3d probe is now within everybody's reach for the price of a tank of fuel.
    Thanks all
    Great job rooboy thinking out of the box is a good thing

I did the same thing more than 20 years ago by using the same type of coaxial indicator for mold work, it works just as well as a Haimer I may still have the old coaxial indicator somewhere that I used, the color of the one I have is all that is different

But yes good to see that others make cool use of cheaper alternatives I'm sure this could be used by most Hobby user's that look at a Haimer and say maybe next year
    Mactec54

That's great ideal. Thanks for share with me

---
    http://cambienpanasonic.000webhostapp.com/