585,604 active members*
3,486 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

"Master tool" offset method

Hi Guys,

I know this topic has been mentioned quite a bit, but I just want to try and get some clarification more specific to fanuc controls.

Am I right in thinking that the way to set the "Master Tool" is by placing a piece of stock in the spindle and then making a facing cut in Z (say tool 1 is used) and then go to the G54 work Z offset and hit Z0Measure and then doing the same in the tool geometry Z offset for tool 1.

Then take a cut on the X, measure the diameter (say .500)and go to tool 1 geometry offset for X and hit 'X .500 Measure'

The with all other tools just use the touch off method from there on?

I hope I've made some sense, I know it's a basic task but I wanted to get an answer more specific to Fanuc controls.

Thanks in advance!

Re: "Master tool" offset method

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser23 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I know this topic has been mentioned quite a bit, but I just want to try and get some clarification more specific to fanuc controls.

Am I right in thinking that the way to set the "Master Tool" is by placing a piece of stock in the spindle and then making a facing cut in Z (say tool 1 is used) and then go to the G54 work Z offset and hit Z0Measure and then doing the same in the tool geometry Z offset for tool 1.

Then take a cut on the X, measure the diameter (say .500)and go to tool 1 geometry offset for X and hit 'X .500 Measure'

The with all other tools just use the touch off method from there on?

I hope I've made some sense, I know it's a basic task but I wanted to get an answer more specific to Fanuc controls.

Thanks in advance!
    All tools should be set with their X relative to the spindle centerline- no exceptions. Just as you describe it.

You can just leave the G54 at zero for this method. G54 works identical to work shift except it is absolute. Most machines with G54 also have a toolsetter, are you sure your lathe has G54?

The point of G54 is to move the Z origin provided by the toolsetter, to the Z origin of the work.

Keep geometry/wear values of the master tool as zero (though not necessary). Now set G54 using the master tool.
    The coordinate datum would be alright for the master tool whenever you call G54.
    If you change the tool, the datum would not be correct because all tools have different shapes and sizes.
    Set the geometry offset for each tool separately. Now, whenever you call the tool with offsets, datum would be alright, provided you are in G54.

I know it has it because I saw it in my older program, But I am having the same problem finding the setting. On my other lathe has a B turret. I had a problem finding that setting, But stumbled on it in the Graphics mode when the others where in the offset mode.
    Because of that, the Fanuc we may have to look around to find it. If you find it please let me know too. LOL

its not hard to find, its under offset. if its not there you dont have it.

Quote Originally Posted by generaldisarray View Post
    its not hard to find, its under offset. if its not there you dont have it.
    If its not there press offset and the right hand soft key under the screen twice , until you see work shift and use that as its a lathe
    PM me your email address and type of controller and I'll send you a procedure