584,837 active members*
5,251 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Hmm. Can't see the whole thing. The Ali neck a number of people do, but this apparently does not have wood inserts or relief cuts on the back of the neck. Thats one clue, but the real giveway is the bolt-on Ali fingerboard with the round fret markers covering the setscrews. My money says thats an older Electric Guitar Company unit. Am I correct? Do I win the guitar?

nope not jackson :)

sorry errrrr-errrrr not jackson ali or valeno its a Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bailey2.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	37880Bailey,he made a lot of aluminum guitars mostly if anyone remembers the Travis Bean guitar well he made a lot of necks for those. Also he made the paul copy ya see in the pic,s but this one was one of the special ones he did he only made one like this solid billet aluminum neck with a wild looking headstock #23 bailey Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bailey3paul.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	37881 which im pretty sure he only made 25 aluminum guitars (dont quote me on this though)

Fingerboard

not a bolt on fingerboard solid aluminum neck:rainfro:

anyone got any gcode for a guitar body - just want to doa test run on my cnc machine which will be finished fairly soon - love that ally guitar body at the start of the thread - there is a guy in the UK (in Sheffield) he makes guitars out of ally and steel - pretty damn good as well .I do plan to make some ally guitars at some point - maybe when my stock of mahoganny and maple runs out.
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk

Question

Quote Originally Posted by big_mak View Post
    here's a shot of my first crack.

Making them for a customer, First order was for one, then 3 next one for Five

What size ally did you start with ,what grade as well - also I am curious on where you got it from and rough cost. - can you show some pictures of the back of the guitar

Regards

Tony

The guitars came out very nice.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

What style do you want? I have a few bodies already modeled, but I'll run up something new if you have the vector data or a blueprint.

I want an SG-style myself. I can generate the code, but my mills are too small to do the body and neck, and can't find anyone willing to cut them for me in alloy.

Any code for any guitar just to look at would be great - would really like prs if anyone has it.

I've been looking for a model of a Les Paul Archtop, but a PRS is cool too.

Jason
    Everytime you think you made something idiot-proof, they keep making new and approved idiots.

Those guitars are so neat. When I get my router built (someday), I am going to build a guitar - just for fun. Not sure if mine will cut Al like that though. That is really high quality work.

How does this puppy sound? I have played many types of guitars, but I don't think I've ever played a guitar made of aluminum. Will it resonate well? I did see a guitar made from an african oil can with a bolt-on neck and pickups, and it sort of sounded like an electric dobro.

Hi - I am just curious if you have made some more and how they sound.

This guitar has gotten some really good reviews. Around Vancouver there are a few in studios, as the engineers really like the clarity, and the natural overtones that are produced.

Look @ www.liquidmetalguitars.com and you will see a new model. I'm also working on a tele design as well.

Cheers guys!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

one of the liquid metal guitars was at at the skinner bbq
    immediately big mak came to mind as i remembered this thread , pictures look nice but to see it in front of me was priceless
    i wanted to touch it because it looks soooo smooth but i was worried about getting my greasy finger prints on it
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

About 30 years ago someone produced an aluminium neck'ed guitar it had a perspex body the neck was a "T" section with wood inlay's no doubt to make it a bit warmer to the touch. It prompted me to make one of my own but cast in one piece. since at that time I did not have access to the software or machines we have now. I spark eroded the fret slots One problem with it it can be very cold and gets condensation on it. I dont know who it was who made the on that I saw I thought it was microfret but I cant find any ref to it on the Net. Anybody know who produced it?

Thanks for the kind words D!

It's a fun job that we get from time to time. We're working on a telecaster design next. We've got one with F-Holes too that doesn't get chromed. Anodized or translucent automotive colours like hard candy Red and such!

It's cool to see people's reactions to this thing. Producers are loving it because of the pure sound that's coming out of it!!!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_M3 View Post
    About 30 years ago someone produced an aluminium neck'ed guitar it had a perspex body the neck was a "T" section with wood inlay's no doubt to make it a bit warmer to the touch. It prompted me to make one of my own but cast in one piece. since at that time I did not have access to the software or machines we have now. I spark eroded the fret slots One problem with it it can be very cold and gets condensation on it. I dont know who it was who made the on that I saw I thought it was microfret but I cant find any ref to it on the Net. Anybody know who produced it?

I used to have a Kramer that sounds exactly like the one your talking about. I sold it to a friend at work whose father used to work at the Kramer factory when they were made. Very cool Guitar. Check out the link: http://www.vintagekramer.com/alum.htm
    I had the DMZ2000

Jason
    Everytime you think you made something idiot-proof, they keep making new and approved idiots.

Aluminum Necks.....Help

Hi Everyone,
    I have been having a crack at making guitars for a while but I am really interested in making one with an aluminum neck.

I have no idea where to even start, I have no experience with metal working at all, I am guessing I need to get someone with a milling machine it do it but I don’t know who to even talk to about this.

I was hoping you guys would be able to help me out. If there is any info you could give me that would be great!!
    I am happy to get emails at [email protected].

This seems like a daunting task for me because of my lack of experience but I really want to give it a go!
    Cheers everyone thanks for the help!!

New Style

Have a look Gents.

Dertsap I don't think this one was at the Skinner Open House
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0088.jpg  

nice stuff man , lots of machining going on there
    no that one wasnt at skinners

i'd love to go snooping thru your scrap bin
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Page 2 of 3 123