584,849 active members*
4,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Upgrading CNC plasma Table

I am wondering what is a good table to upgrade to. I currently have a 5x10 TruCut cnc plasma table Series 1. It has over 23k hours on it and the ware is starting to show. We cut a lot of 3/8 and 1/2 material. We have been using a hypertherm 85 and thinking of upgrading that as we. I am wanting some input on tables that can run 12hrs a day 5 days a week with accurate cuts and reliability in production

Re: Upgrading CNC plasma Table

Any progress in retrofitting your table? I own a Tracker 4' x 8' table, built in 2005. The THC is dead, and no longer supported by tracker. I am also in the same boat: looking to upgrade my table' controller. I looked at CanDcnc, which can prob supply what I need to do so for about $3500 including DTHC, and a universal kit that would trigger my plasma cutter, which is a ThermalDynamics Cutmaster 101. Just wondering if you are closer in your upgrade project, and with what, if you decided, you are going to go with. Let me know. Thanks. J.

I don't know which model TruCut you have but 23k hours on it and no other issues but wear? I think I would be talking with them again.

Quote Originally Posted by #1metalman View Post
    Any progress in retrofitting your table? I own a Tracker 4' x 8' table, built in 2005. The THC is dead, and no longer supported by tracker. I am also in the same boat: looking to upgrade my table' controller. I looked at CanDcnc, which can prob supply what I need to do so for about $3500 including DTHC, and a universal kit that would trigger my plasma cutter, which is a ThermalDynamics Cutmaster 101. Just wondering if you are closer in your upgrade project, and with what, if you decided, you are going to go with. Let me know. Thanks. J.

Purchased a 5x10 Star Lab table. I had nothing but problems and little to no help from Star Lab or Candcnc. Both companies have had quite a few customer service issues the past couple of years. If you want to stay in that price range Candcnc is really about the only choice without going to some of the direct from China stuff on Ebay. Candcnc sells their product as hobby software, which it is. If you are ok with hobby level reliability it may work for you. Seems that most who run the system try to keep a stock of spare modules and cards on hand as they go out frequently. If you need to send the controller in for repair I have heard of customers waiting months to get them back. The owner knows of the issues and has acknowledged them on another forum but wether or not anything will change is questionable.

I ended up retrofitting my table with Design2Cut which is Westcott plasma's version of Flashcut. It has been about a year since I did the retrofit, it has worked flawlessly. Reliable, intuitive and if for any reason you need support the ability to VPN into your computer and diagnose a problem in minutes. It is double the cost of Commandcnc with reason. You are now getting into a commercial, light industrial quality controller. Just putting the two systems side by side you can pretty much see the difference in hardware quality. If you like to constantly tweak your settings and don't mind the possible down time for parts or repair it may fill your bill. For me, the amount of time and aggravation I saved over the past year has already justified the cost.

I think Westcott has become the leader in the under 30K table market since incorporating Design2Cut into their plasma tables. Even the fit and finish of their tables is more refined then most. There is a free demo for the software, drop Westcott a line if your interested..

Quote Originally Posted by #1metalman View Post
    You can get NeuronTHC and UCCNC with ethernet motion controller for a lower price and better performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Z6rIYLmSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxiZVhXOmJo

This CR Plasma is new technology ? I saw that surface to be cut sprayed by water.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    This CR Plasma is new technology ? I saw that surface to be cut sprayed by water.
    No, the High Definition Thermal Dynamics machines support water mist technology when cutting stainless steel. Hypertherm use different gases. Apparently water mist produces a superior cut. However, I'd be very surprised if the High def plasma was using anything other than a thermal dynamics control system and not UCCNC or a Neuron THC. The large TD machines are prtty cool. If you want to upgrade your machines to more amps, you can drop in another power module instead of having to buy a new machine. But god knows what the upgrade cost is!
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

HD seems like a good idea as the next step up from air plasma, looks like all run on three phase power. That knocks it out for a lot of small shops. It is a step up from air plasma before going to water jet or laser. It appears most of the HD machines are north of $20K. Some serious technology. I agree, don't see machines of this caliber running on any of the hobby type controllers.