585,883 active members*
4,764 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Yaskawa servo

I inherited 8-10 nema 23 yaskawa servos and would like some pointers about hooking them up. Being new to cnc and having just completed a 3 axis gantry with steppers, I have zero
    experience with servos. Would like some pointers concerning what hardware I need to start looking at to be able to hook these up or test. I don't know enough to ask intelligent questions.
    All input appreciated. Model # sgmph-01aae-ya14
    Thanks
    cncneon

Re: Yaskawa servo

Quote Originally Posted by cncneon View Post
    I inherited 8-10 nema 23 yaskawa servos and would like some pointers about hooking them up. Being new to cnc and having just completed a 3 axis gantry with steppers, I have zero
    experience with servos. Would like some pointers concerning what hardware I need to start looking at to be able to hook these up or test. I don't know enough to ask intelligent questions.
    Thanks
    cncneon
    These appear to be 100W 200V motors with a 13-bit incremental encoder.

Hope this helps,

Iron-Man

Quote Originally Posted by cncneon View Post
    Thanks
    cncneon
    You would need the matching servo drive if you don't have the drive, 100w motor like this would be ok for a 3d printer not much use for a router they are sigma II so the servo drives you would need would be a SGDH-01A-E-S this drive can use Step/Dir to run the motor
    Mactec54

Here is a link to a thread about my CNC lathe using Yaskawa servos https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-servos.74039/
    I use Sigma-3 motors and drives (SGMAS-01 and SGDS-01). I think you have older Sigma-2 generation motors.
    You can download all datasheets on yaskawa website: Yaskawa America Inc. Home - Yaskawa There are lots of educative videos from Yaskawa on youtube.
    100W servos are pretty powerful, they can provide x3 torque (power) for a couple of seconds. I use 4:1 reduction on HTD-3 timing belts to drive 1605 ball screws. Maximal linear speed I've got is about 4m/min, typically run at 3m/min. I don't see lack of torque using 100W motors. I'm pretty happy about 100W motors. Using more powerful motors you can get higher speed.
    Here are more videos
    https://youtu.be/Y7B_gzsvo9M
    https://youtu.be/EeOMz2A9C34

Quote Originally Posted by r3292c View Post
    Here is a link to a thread about my CNC lathe using Yaskawa servos https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-servos.74039/
    I use Sigma-3 motors and drives (SGMAS-01 and SGDS-01). I think you have older Sigma-2 generation motors.
    You can download all datasheets on yaskawa website: Yaskawa America Inc. Home - Yaskawa There are lots of educative videos from Yaskawa on youtube.
    100W servos are pretty powerful, they can provide x3 torque (power) for a couple of seconds. I use 4:1 reduction on HTD-3 timing belts to drive 1605 ball screws. Maximal linear speed I've got is about 4m/min, typically run at 3m/min. I don't see lack of torque using 100W motors. I'm pretty happy about 100W motors.
    Here are more videos
    https://youtu.be/Y7B_gzsvo9M
    https://youtu.be/EeOMz2A9C34
    You are not running a 100w motor when you have a ratio of 4:1 you now have the equivalent of a 400w motor which will easily run a light weight machine like you have
    With a ratio like that you should not have a problem, the only factor you have to be concerned with is the spindle power
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You are not running a 100w motor when you have a ratio of 4:1 you now have the equivalent of a 400w motor which will easily run a light weight machine like you have
    With a ratio like that you should not have a problem, the only factor you have to be concerned with is the spindle power
    Wow, I checked the label on the motor - no, it's still 100W not 400W unfortunately
    Seriously, the power is not important. What is important is torque and RPM. Using 4:1 RPM reduction I increased the torque by 4. The power is still the same.

If I used say 50W motor with 8:1 reduction, the torque would be the same, but the maximal speed would be about 2m/min - too low.
    If I used 400W motors with direct coupling (no reduction), the maximal speed would be up to 16m/min with the same amount of torque. 16m/min seems too high for a small hobby machine, where tools move by 1-2 inches typically.

Wow, I checked the label on the motor - no, it's still 100W not 400W unfortunately
    Seriously, the power is not important. What is important is torque and RPM. Using 4:1 RPM reduction I increased the torque by 4. The power is still the same.
    Do you have a problem with the word equivent yes you increased the torque equivent to a 400w motor, no one said the power changed
    Mactec54

If I used say 50W motor with 8:1 reduction, the torque would be the same, but the maximal speed would be about 2m/min - too low.
    If I used 400W motors with direct coupling (no reduction), the maximal speed would be up to 16m/min with the same amount of torque. 16m/min seems too high for a small hobby machine, where tools move by 1-2 inches typically.
    And the 50w motor would be ridiculous for any metal removing machine no matter what reduction you used

You really don't know what ac servos are all about, if you did have a 400w or even a 750w servo system, on your machine you can use them at what ever speed your machine can handle, and would have no affect on the Servo motor, so a large motor on your machine would work without over stressing of your machine if this is what you had and they would fit then you would not have a problem
    Mactec54

How can I distinguish between step/dir servodrive and Position/Precision & Velocity modes servodrive ? Can servo motor driven by step/dir servo drive, can also be driven by Position/Precision & Velocity modes servodrive ?

the servo drives you would need would be a SGDH-01A-E-S this drive can use Step/Dir to run the motor

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    How can I distinguish between step/dir servodrive and Position/Precision & Velocity modes servodrive ? Can servo motor driven by step/dir servo drive, can also be driven by Position/Precision & Velocity modes servodrive ?
    If you have Sigma II then the letter ( E ) does all modes Torque Velocity and Position Letter ( S ) for Single phase Letter ( A ) 200v ( 01 ) 100w Drive Capacity

Position control is used with Step / Dir
    Mactec54