584,861 active members*
4,671 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas VF3 rapid jog by holding an axis jog key

Unhappy Haas VF3 rapid jog by holding an axis jog key

Hello!

I want to ask if the machine is capable of being jogged by pressing and holding an axis jog key. I need to jog it that way in rapid feedrate, also to be able to select slow feedrate and jog it in that feedrate.
    The problem is that the machine would be used in millimeter mode. From what I read and watched, you are able to select the following feedrates: 0.1, 1.0, 10.0 and 100 mm/min. So if I want for example 60 mm/min I will select 100 mm/min and then adjust it to 60 via the +-10% keys. Nothing is mentioned for rapid jog, and the maximum work feedrate selected via the % keys , i read, is 200%, yielding 200 mm/min. With 200 mm/min it will take forever to go anywhere fast. If the machine is used in inch units, then the fastest speed that way is 100, resp 200 ipm, which is more than enough for crude rapid positioning.
    I do not want to use the rotating handle jog instead of holding an axis jog key , I use it in very few situations. With it, it is much slower to first look at the keys, then select axis, then think and imagine in which direction the machine will go, and I make more mistakes. I am not full time cnc programmer nor operator, I do these things occasionally...
    I do not have the machine near me and cant try it to behave as every other machine. It will be delivered to us in a month or two and by that time i should make some decision in which way to set it up.
    Good solution is if someone should change a parameter to make the 100 mm/min button to be 3000 mm/min. I also thought about the possibility to set up the machine in inch mode, then change it back to millimeter mode when i need to input values, but it would be a pain.

I set up the other machines the following way: rapid jog near the workpiece, like 5000 mm/min, then slower to come closer, like 300 mm/min, then touch it via the rotating handle jog
    , or make some chips with 50 mm/min.

Thank you for your time!

Re: Haas VF3 rapid jog by holding an axis jog key

You can not rapid a Haas machine manually like you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by tinki_winki View Post
    I do not want to use the rotating handle jog instead of holding an axis jog key , I use it in very few situations. With it, it is much slower to first look at the keys, then select axis, then think and imagine in which direction the machine will go, and I make more mistakes.
    Just remember that you are moving the spindle relative to the table, NOT the table relative to the spindle, when selecting an axis and a direction. Once you get that, the buttons are very intuitive.

Matt, thank you for the answer, I feel that I didn't explain very clear, despite writing so much text.

Anyway, here are my next questions related to the topic:

theese guys https://youtu.be/UoGj9crlXIU?t=222 at 3:40 say that it is 100 mm/min, which i hope is not true.
    https://youtu.be/UoGj9crlXIU?t=222
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by tinki_winki View Post
    Hello!

I make more mistakes.---------------- I am not full time cnc programmer nor operator, I do these things occasionally...
    should change a parameter to make the 100 mm/min button to be 3000 mm/min --------- it would be a pain.

Thank you for your time!
    This is what I picked up on in your post

YES! INDEED!!
    please keep video rolling!