585,883 active members*
5,205 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Switch for Rapid Turn.

I have a need to use both the 1100 and the Rapid Turn for the same part. I want to be able to easily switch between the two. I have the dongle switch by Mill Fast, but still have to go through the hassle of disconnecting the motor power cable from one machine and connecting it to the other. I have a 3pdt toggle switch rated at 15 A for 230 VAC that should do the trick. Would that be a bad idea or a very bad idea?

Re: Switch for Rapid Turn.

Edit: Oh, n/m, RapidTurn is the thing that takes over the mill, not the SlantPro. Words are hard!

It is probably a bad idea if you ever forget to power off the VFD prior to switching.

Thanks, that certainly would be a problem, but in spite of my age, (and I'm not a "senior citizen". I'm OLD), the only thing I have trouble remembering is wedding anniversaries One of my concerns is the 15 Amp capacity of the made in China switch. I like it because it is on-off-on giving the possibility of pausing before completing the switching. I have a high amperage "Made in USA" rotary switch, but I'd have to whip out my old Simpson VOM and work out the configuration for it. BTW, I love that old Simpson analog VOM. I can't justify it, but I really don't like digital VOMs. I still have an EICO VTVM I built back when I still had hair!

I have 3 phase power (RPC) in my shop but doubt there is any practical way to use it on the Tormach without losing some of that magical blue smoke. My 14x40 runs on 3 phase and it's so sweet. Just power up and go.

I can't find it with any search I've tried, but a few months ago here in the forum someone posted a similar thread about installing a big *ss switch, including pictures. Maybe you would have better luck searching.

On a side note, preferring analog meters is not just preference, in some cases they just work better, try tuning a tank circuit for the maximum dip with a digital, LoL Also better in cars, you can glance at an analog tach or spedo, but you have to actually read a digital.

I also have an old Simpson that is solid as a tank, and a Heathkit VTVM that still works great.

Terry

What does the T stand for in VTVM I remember building a Heathkit in about 1965:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    What does the T stand for in VTVM I remember building a Heathkit in about 1965:cheers:
    I'm not certain, but I don't believe the "T" stands for transistor. I miss the likes of Heath, Allied, EICO, and such. Besides saving a few quid by building them ourselves, if anything ever went wrong we could easily find the fix. As Archie and Edith would say, "Those were the days."

Vacuum Tube Volt Meter

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Vacuum Tube Volt Meter
    Mine must be 65 years old. I built it when I was in high school. Still works.

Vacuum tube volt meter, thats an abreviation that I understand!! i think mine was Heathkit, I had a couple digital proportional radio controls by heathkit as well around the late 60's - state of the art back then............

mike sr

Right on Terry, on the tuning a tank circuit or rfi filter etc., I used to build some of my own equipment

WE0L.............
    Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    I can't find it with any search I've tried, but a few months ago here in the forum someone posted a similar thread about installing a big *ss switch, including pictures. Maybe you would have better luck searching.

On a side note, preferring analog meters is not just preference, in some cases they just work better, try tuning a tank circuit for the maximum dip with a digital, LoL Also better in cars, you can glance at an analog tach or spedo, but you have to actually read a digital.

I also have an old Simpson that is solid as a tank, and a Heathkit VTVM that still works great.

Terry
    mike sr

Hardest part these days is finding a tube if you need one. Any one as old as me can remember when every drug store had a big honkin' tube tester for TV tubes (not the CRT) and an supply of tubes underneath.

I found a place called Tubedepot.com that has a good supply, and not too bad on prices. My Heathkit uses a 12AU7 dual triode, I got one for 10 bucks plus 2 dollars extra to select one with the 2 triodes balanced..

Terry

Perhaps https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...4-tormach.html and post #20 at https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...4-tormach.html
    are what you remember? I have a 770 rather than a 1100 so be aware of the differences.

I had a RCA VTVM in high school (around 1960) and I vaguely recall that it used a 12AT7 rather than a 12AU7.

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Hardest part these days is finding a tube if you need one. Any one as old as me can remember when every drug store had a big honkin' tube tester for TV tubes (not the CRT) and an supply of tubes underneath.

I found a place called Tubedepot.com that has a good supply, and not too bad on prices. My Heathkit uses a 12AU7 dual triode, I got one for 10 bucks plus 2 dollars extra to select one with the 2 triodes balanced..

Terry
    Thanks, I'll make a note of that site for the tubes I'll need in the future. I remember those tube tester/vending machines. Not too many guys left that know a triode from the man in the moon. The youngsters of today are pretty sharp with a smart-phone, but would have to go online for a video on how to change a light bulb. If they ever attempt to replace a light switch there is a chance the entire power grid might go down.

Kstrauss, yep that second thread is the one I was remembering. I should have know it was you! LoL

I picked up my early electronics theory from the US Navy in the mid 60's training to work on aircraft fire control systems. The Navy tech community was just starting to get it's head around solid state electronics and the primary school still taught tubes, because a lot of Naval aircraft still used them. They were beginning to teach transistors, but you could tell some of the instructors thought they were just a fad that wouldn't be around long! It was a lot of fun back then because the was no such thing as on board testing in the aircraft, no built in test. You needed to understand what circuits were supposed to do and use test equipment, i.e. meters, scopes, etc. The poor guys now just get a light intro, then taught how to run the built in stuff, lots less fun.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Vacuum tube volt meter, thats an abreviation that I understand!! i think mine was Heathkit, I had a couple digital proportional radio controls by heathkit as well around the late 60's - state of the art back then............
    Ah yes we called them valve volt meters. And yes it was Heathkit. I seem to remember as well that we used the XFG1 gas filled triodes in radio receivers for RC aircraft.https://www.google.com/search?q=xfg1...tp7FyrQRUdbWM:

Now that has been awhile back! I saw one once at the Muncie indiana county fair I believe, I was hooked on RC from that point on, I think I was about 12 years old then, early 50's I believe, plane had about a 10 foot wingspan, he needed a big plane for the batteries and receiver gear, everything was huge, it did fly though..........

bit of nostalgia going on here!!

Ah yes we called them valve volt meters. And yes it was Heathkit. I seem to remember as well that we used the XFG1 gas filled triodes in radio receivers for RC aircraft.https://www.google.com/search?q=xfg1...tp7FyrQRUdbWM:
    mike sr

I wouldn’t mind adding Rapid Turn to my PCNC 1100 but I’ve been told it’s not compatible with my MACH III OS.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Amen to finding a tube tester! Though any of us "of a certain age" should be able to check a filament, or even set up a simple gain/short tester.

Any of you guys needing a spare tube for a VTVM (etc), PM me with a number. I have a stash of the most common ones. Many are used/working, pulls from lab equipment typically. I've got lots of storage space and just won't throw these out given how hard they are to find. I've still got a couple old Tektronix scopes that run just fine, heat the shop quite nicely in the winter- and without the stash, a bad tube would probably be the end of a perfectly functional piece of hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12