585,760 active members*
3,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

PRO4896 Cutting Melamine

Anyone cutting 3/4 melamine with the pro4896 with the 2.2 kw spindle? If so could you share your settings and bit type. Getting some i fo before mine arrives.

Re: PRO4896 Cutting Melamine

Interested to hear what folks have to say, I know how brittle that stuff is!

Interesting I have a much touted program G-Wizard and it does not even list Melamine as a material? The search comes up MDF and I know that's not going to work. They want $79 a year or $139 for 3 years use and it appears to have all the bells and whistles. I am using the Trial version now, maybe its a cripple ware edition.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

"Melamine" is most often Particle Board with Melamine faces, but it's also available as MDF with Melamine faces.
    So, it cuts the same as particle board, with the exception of the faces, which chip very easily. To prevent chipping, melamine is typically cut with compression bits, or downcut spirals if you only need one clean face.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Was hoping someone using this machine could share there feeds and speeds and bit type when cutting melamine, my new pro4896 will be arriving in 4-6 weeks and was trying to get a jump on a good start point. My current cnc was the Zenbot which from previous post was not a very rigid machine but it has allowed me to do enough work to purchase the new cnc outright. I had gotten a few responses and they are using 3/8 bits, that seems like allot of waste of removing material vs using a 1/4 bit? Is it because the bigger shaft you can run faster speeds?

Do a Search for G-Wizard. they have a "Free' download to try. You will need to input your machine name or generic and the min-max speed of your spindle and the Hp rating to get feeds and speeds you can use. Gerry says MDF is the same as Melamine and frankly I do not know but I have cur MDF and its a dusty mess. Maybe I was using the wrong settings?

Bob from G Wizard will fill your Inbox so be aware of that. I think I am going to spring for the 3 year plan however.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Whisker- I think your problem is no one is cutting melamine. There are a lot of people on here using CNCRP Pro routers of different sizes, me included. I'm new to CNC so I have no experience with routing melamine, but I know I would do some testing to see what works best for my job with my bits. I think it's going to depend on what the cuts are and if you are going completely through the material or just pocket cutting part way through.

Like I said I'm new & I may be way off but I'd start with a 3/8" or 1/2" bit cutting 150ipm with a spindle speed of around 12000 - 15000 rpm. But like I said I'm new & may be way off.

Good luck I'm very happy with my Pro4896 with nema 34 & CNCRP's electronics & spindle

GWizard is a very powerful tool and you can modify for your machine. They are having a 20% off sale on all their software now.
    https://www.cnccookbook.com/cnc-soft...gn=offerbutton

Here is a screenshot for melamine with a standard .25 2flute EM. There are lots of variable to make changes to the end values, so don't take this for gospel. There is a slider bar that will adjust your F&S for aggressive or finish. You also need to set depth of cut (per pass) and whether you are cutting a slot or using a stepover. A little intimidating at first, but you will get the hang of it and Bob is very good at getting back to you if you have a question.

I've been been thinking about getting GWizard for a while. Seen like a lot of information. Who set a .25" bit cutting .1875 deep per pass? Was it you or did GWizard because of the material? This looks interesting especially for a newbie

I have an app called FS Wizard and it seems more geared for metal machining there is a radio button for plastic, wood & hard not metal. I close hard not metal and this is what it came up with

Attachment 408666
    Thanks
    Gary

I set the bit diameter and depth of cut. You should download the trial version. I have tried FS Wizard too, along with many other F&S programs.

FS Wizard and even the Pro version does not seem to do wood and they do not publish the material list it does do? I have a calculator on my iPhone from Vortex and it seem pretty good. You start by picking the Tool and it lists Melamine.

Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post
    GWizard is a very powerful tool and you can modify for your machine. They are having a 20% off sale on all their software now.

Here is a screenshot for melamine with a standard .25 2flute EM. There are lots of variable to make changes to the end values, so don't take this for gospel. There is a slider bar that will adjust your F&S for aggressive or finish. You also need to set depth of cut (per pass) and whether you are cutting a slot or using a stepover. A little intimidating at first, but you will get the hang of it and Bob is very good at getting back to you if you have a question.
    I would consider those numbers to be way off. I'd be using 12,000-14,000 rpm at 150 ipm.

21,000 rpm would be better suited for 450-500ipm .
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gerry - Huh so my first guess was pretty good then.

WM George - I have the vortex app as well but I do not see anywhere to select material and when I put 14000 rpm & 2 flutes it gives me a feed rate of 0.00 ipm

Never used the Vortex app, but their chipload charts (and many other's charts) are geared towards maximizing tool life, and these values may be impossible to attain on hobby grade machines.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-Wiant View Post
    Gerry - Huh so my first guess was pretty good then.

WM George - I have the vortex app as well but I do not see anywhere to select material and when I put 14000 rpm & 2 flutes it gives me a feed rate of 0.00 ipm
    Select Tool Selection Guide and then Material to get chip load recommendation. Gerry, this is all about selecting feeds and speeds for a beginning CNC user, starting points the user (as me) will need to adjust as needed. If I had 20 years in CNC like you I would not need.

Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post

I've been eyeing his products for a while, you find it to work well for you?

Quote Originally Posted by pugsly View Post
    I've been eyeing his products for a while, you find it to work well for you?
    You can download a Trial and use for 30 Days at no cost. But it really seems to me to be overpriced, lots of nice graphics you don't need. You just can't buy you rent the use of it. The Vortex app seems to be a nice way to go. Unfortunately I can't afford to pay a $100 for a router bit to support them.

But as Gerry says, after a time we will learn. Info from another website is you want chips not powder, If the chip load is correct with your feed rate and speed your chips should be warm or cool not hot or burned.

I’m not far from a newby myself, but I have good luck with melamine using a 1/4 2 flute solid carbide downcut at 12,000 120ipm .125 depth of cut. (I have also recent used .25 depth of cut with good results-just have only done this for one sheet)
    ymmv
    Cheers Sean

Use caution with melamine and wear a respirator and use dust collection. Melamine ingestion is linked to bladder cancer and kidney problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerflyer View Post
    Use caution with melamine and wear a respirator and use dust collection. Melamine ingestion is linked to bladder cancer and kidney problems.
    Thanks, I was using a 2hp grizzly dust collector with my current setup which did ok but still got dust. I'm waiting for my new cncpro4896 but I did upgrade my dust collector waiting to try it out.

Page 1 of 2 12