585,996 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > DNC-B setup help!?!?!?!
Page 1 of 2 12

DNC-B setup help!?!?!?!

I'm working on an older okuma that im about 90% sure has the DNC-B option installed but I cant seem to get it to work. I'm not sure if I have to change any optional parameters or anything like that. I can get the machine to receive files via PIP then pressing the read command followed by CN0: and then transferring files that way, I can also send files from the machine to the PC via the same process except pressing punch then selecting the file I want to send. No matter what I do I can't get anything to send via DNC-B. Everytime I try I get a 4218 error followed by 304,302 or 308. which in the book says something about wrong commands. I also feel I should point out that on the back of the machine I have RS232 ports I can use the PIP function on the first port but not on the second port. I can open the DNC-B option menu on the machine if it's plugged into the second port but not on the first port! The fact that I can receive and transfer files tells me that the cable I am using must be a good configuration. I'v tried using CIMCO and DNC4U to transfer files via DNC-B but it still get the same 2 errors. I would love to be able to get this sorted out so that I can begin to run larger dynamic toolpaths with the limited memory that I have. If anybody has any tips that would be great i'm starting to get a little desperate to geet this to work!!!

Re: DNC-B setup help!?!?!?!

What machine & control ?

Any switches near the comm ports ?
    Are the comm switches turned ON before turning the machine ON ?

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    What machine & control ?

Any switches near the comm ports ?
    Are the comm switches turned ON before turning the machine ON ?
    It's a VMC 4020 with the OSP-U10M controller! All the switches on the back are turned to the on position

Quote Originally Posted by ZGC-Machinist View Post
    It's a VMC 4020 with the OSP-U10M controller! All the switches on the back are turned to the on position
    Could it be that the first port that is works with PIP is CN0: and the second port is CN1: ? Perhaps try using the second port again trying PIP changing it to the CN1: and see if that works.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy828 View Post
    Could it be that the first port that is works with PIP is CN0: and the second port is CN1: ? Perhaps try using the second port again trying PIP changing it to the CN1: and see if that works.

Dave
    I just tried that using PIP and it says there is an error CN1 not reconized or something like that

Once your switches are on, you do not use PIP any more but rather transmit from your DNC and cycle start your machine. Your DNC manual should give default port settings and if settings are correct, the machine will send the XON or CTS signal the DNC software is looking for and code will start appearing in the program run screen if I remember right.
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    Once your switches are on, you do not use PIP any more but rather transmit from your DNC and cycle start your machine. Your DNC manual should give default port settings and if settings are correct, the machine will send the XON or CTS signal the DNC software is looking for and code will start appearing in the program run screen if I remember right.

okumawiz, it's almost as if the machine isnt sending the XON signal. either that or the DNC software isnt recognizing the XON signal.

CN0: and CN1: have independent communications settings. Have you checked to make sure that you are using the correct port for DNC and that the port settings match CN0:?

You also need to have CN1: designated as the default DNC port so please confirm. It may have never been configured.

CN0: and CN1: have independent communications settings. Have you checked to make sure that you are using the correct port for DNC and that the port settings match CN0:?

You also need to have CN1: designated as the default DNC port so please confirm. It may have never been configured.
    How do I confirm that CN1: is the designated default DNC port?

Edit: So upon further experimentation. I tried changing a bunch of the parameter words in the controller and it doesn't matter what combination I use I keep getting ERRORS. More specifically the 304 and 302 errors which both refer to a device name error and something about the device name variable. I can not find anything in the manual about a device name variable specifically the PTRDV4 variable. I did at some point get those to go away online to come away with a DNC-B communication error which was a DNC-B not ready ERROR.

Match parameter bit#13 to 8. Set word #44+45 = 1. Set word#39 = 6. Wait 3 min (or push backup key if available) then Turn off control at circuit breaker for 1 minute. Re-boot control and try again.

Confirm that port is sending out Xon command.

Match parameter bit#13 to 8. Set word #44+45 = 1. Set word#39 = 6. Wait 3 min (or push backup key if available) then Turn off control at circuit breaker for 1 minute. Re-boot control and try again.

Confirm that port is sending out Xon command.
    I matched both 13 & 8 set work 44+45 both to 1 and word 39 is set to the baud rate and after doing all that it almost appears that the machine is not sending out the Xon command or rather not that I can tell the only light that comes on when I check it is the RXD light. But I am still getting error 304 & error 302 on the controller when I try to transfer the program. It almost appears as if the controller doesnt like the name for CN1: that it has been given

It almost appears as if the controller doesnt like the name for CN1: that it has been given
    What do you mean by the name it has been given? Are you typing some command or does your file just have the $A.MIN% as a header in the file?

What do you mean by the name it has been given? Are you typing some command or does your file just have the $A.MIN% as a header in the file?

I'm just trying to DNC whatever the file name is that has been posted. $MUL100-55_004.MIN% is the file name that I am trying to DNC. Does the File name have to be $A.MIN% The Error that pops up is printer deivce name error

No the name doesn’t have to be a.min.

It is saying the wrong port is being attempted. Are you following my instructions or trying typed commands?

No the name doesn’t have to be a.min.

It is saying the wrong port is being attempted. Are you following my instructions or trying typed commands?
    I followed your instructions. after i change all the parameters im just not sure where to go from there. I go to automatic mode, at the top it says DNC program and im under the assumption that all i have to do is press start and then send the program from the computer. at which point after i start the DNC from the computer it is at that point that it is giving me the above errors. I changed all the parameters just like you said

I'm just trying to DNC whatever the file name is that has been posted. $MUL100-55_004.MIN% is the file name that I am trying to DNC. Does the File name have to be $A.MIN% The Error that pops up is printer deivce name error
    I seem to remember... the filename is NOT to be in the program if running in DNC... it is use to open a new file in the control memory. It also must not contain subroutines or similar types of jumps or branching

.... if you have the correct settings & cabling, to run a program remotely. was to send the program (at PC), then just push cycle start at the machine

you should see on the control screen what method is being executed... A_,B_ or R_MTHD ... A & B are running programs from control memory. R is remote (DNC)

I think Superman is right. I don’t remember 100% on the filename or not. The error message is implying it is attempting to use the wrong port. Wrong method could be causing that. The other thing is to send from the computer first and then cycle start the machine. The computer knocks on the door and the machine lets it in with the XON command.

I seem to remember... the filename is NOT to be in the program if running in DNC... it is use to open a new file in the control memory. It also must not contain subroutines or similar types of jumps or branching

.... if you have the correct settings & cabling, to run a program remotely. was to send the program (at PC), then just push cycle start at the machine

you should see on the control screen what method is being executed... A_,B_ or R_MTHD ... A & B are running programs from control memory. R is remote (DNC)
    I tried removing the program name out of the Program so it started with just a $ or a % and neither of these methods works. If I send it with a $ it says error DNC-B REMOTE OPERATION "304" if I send it with a % it says ERROR DNC-B REMOTE OPERATION "304" If I send it with both it says ERROR DNC-B COMMUNICATION ERROR

I tried removing the program name out of the Program so it started with just a $ or a % and neither of these methods works. If I send it with a $ it says error DNC-B REMOTE OPERATION "304" if I send it with a % it says ERROR DNC-B REMOTE OPERATION "304" If I send it with both it says ERROR DNC-B COMMUNICATION ERROR
    delete the entire line... no $.. no %
    the $ sign is to indicate a file to be created.
    the % to indicate end of file naming.
    the code following is as you would see in the control.
    the final % at the end of the file is to terminate transfer window and close the file.

delete the entire line... no $.. no %
    the $ sign is to indicate a file to be created.
    the % to indicate end of file naming.
    the code following is as you would see in the control.
    the final % at the end of the file is to terminate transfer window and close the file.
    If I delete both of those symbols and leave just the first line of the program it says ERROR DNC-B REMOTE OPERATION B (4220)

Page 1 of 2 12