584,808 active members*
5,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Cat's Meow!

Cat's Meow!

Wow, things sure are quiet here on the Novakon Thread.
    I purchased a new compressor for the shop specifically to run my PDB and a air hose for hosing off parts. It's a small unit and fits nicely under the right side of my machine by the coolant tank. It came from harbor freight (yeah I know) but I'm so impressed with this unit I wanted to share my experience. I've had screw and piston compressors for many years and never got use to the noise that make when running. I visited my local HF store and plugged one of these units and purchased it right away. The unit is incredible. Quite as a running refrigerator and plenty of air for it's limited purpose. Price was about half of what I've seen similar units sell for. I'll try to pose a pix of the unit and I'm not affiliated with HF other than a customer. Just satisfied this time!
    Hope this helps someone.
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fortress Compressor.jpg  
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Re: Cat's Meow!

Hi Bill. Do you happen to have the model number and price handy?
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

Hey MK;
    This is the info from the sight. Price is less that 200!
    Name 2 gallon 1.2 HP 135 PSI Ultra Quiet Oil-Free Professional Air Compressor
    SKU 64688
    Brand Fortress™
    Amperage (amps) 7.1
    Horsepower (hp) 1.2
    Maximum pressure (PSI) 135 PSI
    Product Weight 37 lbs.
    Shipping Weight 41.10 lbs.
    Flow rate 2.2 CFM (2.1 SCFM) @ 90 PSI
    Model FT2135UQ
    AC Volts 120
    Pump-Up Time 47 sec (0-120 PSI), 58 seconds (0-135 PSI)
    billyjack

If you can use the 25% off coupon that would be a great deal for a quiet compressor.

Last year I picked up a Maximum 4 Gallon Quiet compressor at Canadian Tire for $199 CAD (~$160 USD) with similar specs to the Harbor Freight except has a larger 4 gallon tank. Been using it for a year now and it works great with my PDB and blowing away chips. Canadian Tire has them on sale every couple of months for between $199-$249 CAD.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...1292p.html#srp

Steve

Thanks for posting! I've been looking at those for a while for my future PDB implementation. I saw HF had started selling them but hadn't heard anything about them yet.

That's funny, I was at HF the other day picking up a new Soft Blow Hammer, and they had that sitting there. I had the guy flip it on as it was advertised as super quiet. I certainly expected to be disappointed, having purchased other tools there but I was pleasantly surprised at the noise level. It's certainly better than running my 80 Gallon compressor setup, just to use my PDB. I might have to grab one next mega coupon sale.

Hey Guys;
    Harbor Freight is a great place to shop for tools that are inexpensive and disposable, especially when you have a discount coupon!!! I had a 25% off coupon when I purchased my compressor but was informed at the checkout that the coupon had exceptions listed on it! An of course it listed compressors were not subject to the discount so I had to pay retail! But, give it a shot anyway. Sometimes they don't pay too much attention to the exception list but, be ready to pay retail if you want to carry one home!
    Just thought I'd throw that in for thought!
    Bill
    billyjack

I see Harbor Freight has the 2 gallon on sale for $159 until Feb 3rd. Coupon needed.

On a semi related note, I would love to be able to hook this up the power bus in the mill so that this and my monitor only has power when the machine is powered on. Does anyone know where I can get some of those plates that go over the vent holes in the cabinet that would have power receptacles?