584,817 active members*
4,810 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Dq542a stepper driver stopped working

Dq542a stepper driver stopped working

Hi Hope someone can help me here. I have recently built a raw 1.5 (kit machine) and was running it for a few days with excellent results.

I have 4 Wantai DQ542A drivers, driving 4 nema 23 motors.
    1 x axis motor
    2 y axis motors
    1 z axis motor.

I switched on the machine this morning and when I started to jog the gantry (y axis) out of the way so I could mount a new workpiece when I noticed only one of the Y axis moved so I stopped immediately to avoid any damage. When I looked at the electronics I saw that the driver that was not working had no green led lit like the others.

I opened the driver and checked the fuse and it's fine.

No idea what the problem is or what would have caused it.

I would love if someone could help me out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181231_163026.jpg   20181231_163055.jpg  

Re: Dq542a stepper driver stopped working

Check the wiring, and che k the voltage with a meter.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Swap inoperative Y driver with the X axis driver and verify that power is correct at the Y driver.
    Either defective power or the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Miamijerry View Post
    Swap inoperative Y driver with the X axis driver and verify that power is correct at the Y driver.
    Either defective power or the driver.
    I checked the wiring and it is as should be.
    I did also swap to Y axis driver with the X axis driver and still no green light. So problem must be with the driver. Are they repairable or do they need to be repkaced?

Also I have found this model online: DM542T
    Will this be a suitable replacement?

Driver is not normally repairable, but I would at least open and inspect the circuit board carefully for "Open, broken" circuit components.

The DQ542MA are available on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Miamijerry View Post
    Driver is not normally repairable, but I would at least open and inspect the circuit board carefully for "Open, broken" circuit components.

The DQ542MA are available on ebay
    I had a look inside and tested the small fuse which is fine. Can't seen to find anything obvious. I even tested components for power with the driver powered on and there is power going through it. I'm no expert in electronics so not exactly sure what I'm looking for or how to test it correctly.
    I did see the dq542ma on eBay but shipping time is the issue.
    I did order the dm542t on the fly so hopefully it will work ok. The only thing that concerns me is in a lot of the reviews they say it is very quiet/silent.
    Since the new driver will be a different brand to the other drivers I will switch it with the X or z axis so at least the two y axis motors will be driven by the same drivers.