507,894 active members
3,517 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 1996 4020ht - new to me, much maintenance required
Page 4 of 4 234
    Registered

Re: 1996 4020ht - new to me, much maintenance required

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    Of course, I don't rebuild spindles so take this with a grain of salt, but in my view, it seems the two most important things that must be on the money, would be the type/amount of grease in the bearings, and the perfect amount of bearing preload. I think the rest of it would be standard disassembly, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, and inspection. I believe Fadal documents their recommended preload procedures if I remember correctly.

The video of Global Spindle Reman made me cringe several times.
    I always wondered how they remanned spindles. Now I know that I would never want a Renan built by them. Jeeslus that video had tons of cringe in it for high dollar spindles. If I had time and needed an new spindle I’d probably try to do it myself.

Registered

Deano 7/11
    If you need any control boards, I have a full system for sale, along with a remote MPG control.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by euroflo View Post
    Deano 7/11
    If you need any control boards, I have a full system for sale, along with a remote MPG control.
    I am ok for the boards unless you want stuff all for them.
    Remote not I am interested in. Not sure where it plugs in to. Mine was never optioned with one.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Deano7/11 View Post
    Food for thought. I would like to try it but I also don't want to stuff it up.

A new spindle delivered will cost me about 7k with taxes and duty and freight so for about 1k worth of bearings is it worth the risk?
    Have you done a fadal spindle rebuild?
    There's somebody in Aus who rebuilds spindles, he goes by 'Machtool', maybe here, and certainly on other forums. He's mentioned Fadal spindles in the past, so I believe he's rebuilt them.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    There's somebody in Aus who rebuilds spindles, he goes by 'Machtool', maybe here, and certainly on other forums. He's mentioned Fadal spindles in the past, so I believe he's rebuilt them.
    Thanks.
    Have sent a message so will wait for a reply

Registered

Got onto machtool. He is too busy to look at it.
    Still trying to weigh up doing it myself
    About $800aud for the bearings they are a common spindle set here In Aus so no lead time for parts.

I also changed out the y axis 7304 thrust bearings with proper 61deg contact angle preloaded ball screw support bearings.
    Previous i was chasing 0.01mm in the bearings and they were new. Swapped them out, no shims needed as they have 350kg or so preload on them once assembled. Now have zero backlash on that axis from the bearings and probably last a heap longer as they are a higher capacity bearing for ball screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Deano7/11 View Post
    Got onto machtool. He is too busy to look at it.
    Still trying to weigh up doing it myself
    About $800aud for the bearings they are a common spindle set here In Aus so no lead time for parts.

I also changed out the y axis 7304 thrust bearings with proper 61deg contact angle preloaded ball screw support bearings.
    Previous i was chasing 0.01mm in the bearings and they were new. Swapped them out, no shims needed as they have 350kg or so preload on them once assembled. Now have zero backlash on that axis from the bearings and probably last a heap longer as they are a higher capacity bearing for ball screws.
    Is this a kit? or did you just find these bearings for some other ball screw?

Registered

Not a kit just worked it out myself.
    22 years in the bearing game helped as suppliers of this bearing set a pretty hard to find.
    If it was 25mm inside dia I would have many manufactures to choose from.

Page 4 of 4 234