585,894 active members*
5,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

No Path Pilot for Rapid Turn?

I finally got around to trying to do something useful with Rapid Turn. Well, I didn't get very far. Actually I got nowhere. It seems PathPilot supports the Duality but not the RT. Still, I took a look at Duality's conversational app in PP. It's a nightmare. For a simple facing operation it asked more questions than my wife does when I come home late.

Ultimately, all I want to do is to face, drill, turn two o/s diameters knurl, chamfer, and part. Something easily accomplish on my 14x40, but since I need quite a few of the parts, the RT seemed appropriate. Had to take the family out to eat so had no time to try to manually write the code. That left me wondering will PP/RT even support standard lathe g-code?

Re: No Path Pilot for Rapid Turn?

The page for "rapidturn upgrade from duality" says explicitly:
    "RapidTurn™ requires PathPilot"
    So ... there's probably some setting or configuration needed, but Rapid Turn should be controllable from the PathPilot.
    Maybe you checked an old version? Or maybe the duality/rapidturn are just the same module?

What version of PathPilot are you using? PathPilot has been set up for Rapidturn for quite awhile. I attached a screen capture of a older 2.0.x version, not sure if the picture will come through, but it should say RAPIDTURN in the lower right hand corner of the screen. If it doesn't, I suggest that you upgrade at least to V 1.9.13.

https://www.tormach.com/support/soft...release-notes/

Attachment 409036

Quote Originally Posted by Sir John View Post
    What version of PathPilot are you using? PathPilot has been set up for Rapidturn for quite awhile. I attached a screen capture of a older 2.0.x version, not sure if the picture will come through, but it should say RAPIDTURN in the lower right hand corner of the screen. If it doesn't, I suggest that you upgrade at least to V 1.9.13.

https://www.tormach.com/support/soft...release-notes/

Attachment 409036
    Thanks, I'm using ver 1.7.2

That is a pretty old version. try updating to at least V 1.9.13 and see how it goes for you.

Pathpilot version 1.7.2 (which you are using) was released on 15 April 2015.

The RapidTurn product was released in June 2016, and a new version of pathpilot was released to support RapidTurn at that time.

Like others have said, update RapidTurn!

I would strongly suggest you go to the current version, which will require you to buy a USB stick from Tormach (version 2.0 and above installed a new Linux OS, and required an install USB stick for that).
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I’d like to try Rapid Turn, but it’s not compatible with my MACH III, and as long as my MACH III still works, why change.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I’d like to try Rapid Turn, but it’s not compatible with my MACH III, and as long as my MACH III still works, why change.
    Perhaps you should change because you would like to try Rapid Turn?

All's good now. i down loaded the last 1.9 version and RT is alive and well. I''m too much of a cheap skate to pay $100 for the 2.x version on a USB stick. And unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise, like recognizing my pendant, it will never happen.

Actually only $24.95 for 38249 - PathPilot v2.0 Upgrade

Why so many updates? Shouldn't they have it right by now?

Quote Originally Posted by jttoner View Post
    Many of the updates have been to add new features or to support new products such as the 1100M. So far, all updates have gone smoothly and not caused me any grief. I prefer to use a product with frequent improvements rather than a dead product like Mach3 that hasn't changed for years. That said, there is no obligation to accept an update to PathPilot. If an update causes a problem or you don't like an improvement you can always revert to a previous version. What do you consider the problem to be?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Many of the updates have been to add new features or to support new products such as the 1100M. So far,nall updates have gone smoothly and not caused me any grief. I prefer to use a product with frequent improvements rather than a dead product like Mach3 that hasn't changed for years. That said, there is no obligation to accept an update to PathPilot. If an update causes a problem or you don't like an improvement you can always revert to a previous version. What do you consider the problem to be?
    What problem? I just asked a civil question. So one of the updates added support for a few new machines, that's a good thing. At least the updates for new features aren't mandatory, unlike Windows 10 or ATT Mobile, both with their never ending mandatory updates.

Do have a pleasant day and a happy new year.

I apologize if you found my comment offensive; it certainly wasn't intended that way!

It's nice to see software supported by a company that solicits suggestions for improvements and features and makes updates available for free https://www.tormach.com/support/soft...lot-bugreport/

And has a video soliciting improvements. I think it's a sign of a conscientious company that doesn't consider something as crucial as software ever being right by now. The updates/upgrades being free is icing on the cake in my view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puZednzlsY0

Quote Originally Posted by cncoperator View Post
    It's nice to see software supported by a company that solicits suggestions for improvements and features and makes updates available for free https://www.tormach.com/support/soft...lot-bugreport/

And has a video soliciting improvements. I think it's a sign of a conscientious company that doesn't consider something as crucial as software ever being right by now. The updates/upgrades being free is icing on the cake in my view.
    Agree with you 100%. JTTONER - I would hope if you make a product that you would always be looking to improve it, regardless of how long you've been improving it. I also like the fact that they do not wait for months on end to add bug fixes and request just so they can say they only pushed out "1" update this year. Keep up the great work Tormach! They are not perfect but at least they are listening to the customer!
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

lol. why do they keep making new model cars? TVs or anything else? Time, tools, technology and requirements change as does everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    lol. why do they keep making new model cars? TVs or anything else? Time, tools, technology and requirements change as does everything else.
    Okay, I'll bite. Just what super-duper new technology am I missing with PP 1.9.13? Will the latest and greatest run my pendant?

Yes if your pendant is the one that Tormach sells!

Okay, I'll bite. Just what super-duper new technology am I missing with PP 1.9.13?...

(And from an earlier post)...That left me wondering will PP/RT even support standard lathe g-code?
    It's not just the super-duper new technology you're missing if you're not running the latest version. You can't help improve PP which would benefit all of us. For example if there is a problem or feature request with the most current version it makes sense for Tormach to look into it. If you're running an out of date version it's not a productive use of time to respond to an issue such as Path Pilot not supporting Rapid Turn that has already been addressed.

Page 1 of 2 12