584,841 active members*
4,443 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Monarch VMC or Mori Seiki VMC

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum so I apologize ahead of time if I come off as a noob. My father is thinking about purchasing a new CNC turning center, possibly with live tooling. We plan on looking at Mori Seiki, Doosan, and Monarch. I know the Monarchs are expensive, but are they more expensive than the Mori Seikis? How good are the Monarch turning centers and VMCs compared to the ones offered by Mori Seiki? Which brands would you guys recommend? We typically work with 316 SS, 304 SS, hastelloy C-276, inconel, and titanium, with emphasis on Stainless Steel and Titanium.

Re: Monarch VMC or Mori Seiki VMC

The Mori Seiki's are pretty much top of the line. Never heard of a Monarch CNC until you mentioned it. Are you looking to buy new or used?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

We plan on buying new but if a good deal comes up, we will consider used. Monarch is an American company that was generally known for making super heavy duty manual engine lathes but also make heavy duty CNC machining centers.

I'm very familiar with Monarch manual lathes, just didn't know they made CNC machines and I didn't know they were still in business. I don't think I have seen one newer than the 50's vintage. Very cool, we do have an American manufacturer of machine tools. Even my Hardinge was made in Japan as near as I can tell, nice machine too. Holds +/- 0.0001, not bad for a 30 year old machine. You might add Hardinge to your list.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Bump