584,865 active members*
4,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > v26 how to add taper mills to planar finish in 3axis strategy??

Question v26 how to add taper mills to planar finish in 3axis strategy??

I want to finish planar with a taper end mill but going to the tool crib only shows endmill rough and finish as available tools....

How can I add a tapered end mill into it???

Re: v26 how to add taper mills to planar finish in 3axis strategy??

airbrush
    I think you have to create a new tool with manually entering parameters of the taper. I have made some tools that I had to define.
    jc
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by unionoutfitt View Post
    airbrush
    I think you have to create a new tool with manually entering parameters of the taper. I have made some tools that I had to define.
    jc
    [email protected]
    I only see options to set diameter length radius, but nothing for taper...maybe I'm missing something here.
    Can you walk me through it? Thx

I just looked at v31 and you can create a taper tool. Not so sure with v26. I will ask Al next time there is a webinar.
    Good luck
    jc

No in V26 that I see

nothing in the tool that i see that allows you to set a taper...only thing that lets you set any kind of taper is in the tool and arbor if you make those

...basically a big time hack...create an arbor as the taper and poke the end of a ball mill out the end of that arbor for the tip...not so great as the simulation would then display all red i'm assuming since thats considered a collision?? no other way i can think of??

is there some other feature or something that will allow the taper mills to be picked from??

so you can create taper mills...but the issue is any of the mill 3axis routines only allow endmill rough and end mill finish tools available ..you can't select a taper mill for these routines ..basically just need a planar zigzag with a taper mill instead of a ball mill....
    anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
    so you can create taper mills...but the issue is any of the mill 3axis routines only allow endmill rough and end mill finish tools available ..you can't select a taper mill for these routines ..basically just need a planar zigzag with a taper mill instead of a ball mill....
    anyone??
    In a 3axis strat wouldn't a center cutting tool be required?

Quote Originally Posted by RAF. View Post
    In a 3axis strat wouldn't a center cutting tool be required?
    Not necessarily if you are thinking outside of the box.

But Yes,normally,,,but I can think of conditions it would be faster to use a taper EM,,,albeit I never have,,,ex.,,,drafts

guess i'll have to try setting up my hack method and see if its simulates correctly...not sure if it will since technically it will be an arbor (in place of the cutting tool to fake it...) ..so not sure if it will actually remove material in the simulation....

guess i'll have to try setting up my hack method and see if its simulates correctly...not sure if it will since technically it will be an arbor (in place of the cutting tool to fake it...) ..so not sure if it will actually remove material in the simulation....
    if I may ask what king of shaped object in a 3 axis strategy would this be cutting

wood project, scrolls/filigree details...I did it in the past with a standard ball mill....but would have rather used a taper mill for it...
    I could just run it with a taper mill and it will probably come out fine...but just wanted to simulate to see what issues or details change as a result of the taper....

wood project, scrolls/filigree details...I did it in the past with a standard ball mill....but would have rather used a taper mill for it...
    I could just run it with a taper mill and it will probably come out fine...but just wanted to simulate to see what issues or details change as a result of the taper....
    I agree in wood probably would work

I would thick the calculations for a tapered tool would be huge compared to a ball due the massive variance of diameters from different deg. of tappers

Good luck

RAF