585,729 active members*
4,942 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Wiring advice Nema 34 12 n.m motor, 8' wires?

Wiring advice Nema 34 12 n.m motor, 8' wires?

So I have a Nema 34 12 N.m Hybrid motor. I need to run a disconnectable wire plug at least 8 feet. And i want the connector to be all weather water tight. I found this trailer connector. 7 pins, Would these wires be safe for I think a 5.7 amp motor? Will be running it from a 70v 400watt PSU?

Thanks

Also, any other suggestions appreciated. This will be outside and want to take a precautions.

Thanks

Randy

See photo attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 61DX3ETR-xL._SL1500_.jpg  

Re: Wiring advice Nema 34 12 n.m motor, 8' wires?

That is fine for the amperage, but I would not call that a weather-tite connector. There is absolutely no gasket and the grommets where the wires enter the connector are not that good. Ok for a trailer, and may be ok for your purpose, but definitely not submersible or suitable for a heavily wet environment.

I agree with 109jb. Trailer plugs operate in a pretty nasty dirty environment and they work pretty well. The terminals are pretty much self cleaning in that they scrape against each other when plugged & unplugged. If they are greased it does help with the water resistance, I like waterproof boat trailer wheel bearing grease for this.

If possible locate the plug in a somewhat protected area, maybe with a shield over it? RTV silicone and some shrink tube works well for sealing the wire side of both the plug and socket.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks, I was worried about amperage. It is not going to be submerged, but being outside. If there was morning moisture or it started to rain, I wouldn't want that to be a failure point. I look into some better sealed options. I just need a connector that can unmount the arm for transport.